MBP 15" i7 random slowdowns & heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcovortex, Jun 8, 2010.

1. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

Hi all,
    Looking for some help..
    I have the new 15" mbp i7 and when doing anything with some load (HD youtube, WoW, or scII) and sometimes when multiple apps are open but nothing with a heavy load I get random slowdowns where the laptop will just sit there for 3-10 seconds and start going again like nothing was ever wrong. Been doing alot of research on this and I see the information on the freezing issue but mine seems so random.
    I'm guessing I have one of the 3 problems;
    1) It freezes when switching between GPUs?
    2) Temp gets to high so it slows/stops itself to cooldown?
    3) A hardware issue? Not enough termal paste?
    Any ideas or help?
    'til then off to read more threads and see if I can get more info but not much on this yet.. Even links to good info/thread on this would be welcome.
    Thanks!

2. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

if anything theres probably too much thermal paste as per other posts.
    I have an 15" i7, and I have only noticed that my computer has slowed in 1 instance where I was playing mass effect 2 without a fan under it, and it overheated and booted me out of the game. I assume you are running windows with bootcamp since you play SCII. So my best guess is not enough ram....if you are using a 32 bit Windows then if you are like me there is only about 2 gigs of ram available for...I havent found a way to utilized all the ram short of switching to 64bit windows, which I highly discourage since some (read steam games) cant run with 64 bit windows