MBP 15" I7 runs hot in lap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluedog54, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Bluedog54 macrumors member

Love my Early 2011 MBP with I7 processor, but man it gets hot in my lap. :eek: Does anyone use a cooler-like device that snaps on to the underside of the MBP to keep it cool? I've found this one. Any suggestions?

http://www.themadminds.com/

2. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

That looks AWESOME! looks like that I will get one :D

3. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

4. Bluedog54, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012

Bluedog54 thread starter macrumors member

I had a Sony 13" I7 at work that was impossible to keep cool. The fan was outrageously loud, and the laptop was IMPOSSible to hold in your lap. I had to sell the thing after a week. :(

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

6. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Is this a 2011 MBP specific thing? My 2010 MBP hasn't ever gotten uncomfortably hot and I do a lot of things on it when it is on my lap.

I needed to use more than 8GB RAM some time ago and was considering swapping my 2010 with 2011 model but after noticing the 2011 store model running very hot around the bottom and corners I dropped the idea.

7. Bluedog54 thread starter macrumors member

This is more of a 2.3GHz I7 thing methinks

8. Queen6, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The outer temperature of the aluminum case can be alarming for those relatively new to Apple & OS X, which in turn draws many to focus on the internal temperatures. It`s possible to reduce the the outer case temperature and fan RPM`s, with some specific powered coolers like the Moshi Zefyr 2, most regular PC orientated coolers do little or nothing as they are not designed with Mac`s in mind.

Passive coolers work well with Mac`s RainDesign`s iLap, Mstand & AViiQ portable laptop stand are excellent examples, and once again they help to reduce the case temperature and fan RPM`s. As for internal temperatures the only solution is the internal fans and the management of them.

Third party software solutions such as SMC Fan Control, UltraFan and several others simply override OS X`s cooling algorithm. They can bring positives and negatives; cooler case & internal temperature, put you in control of system temperature. Greater noise, reduced fan lifecycle (high RPM`s will draw in more dust in dry environments) some app`s run daemons and can be problematic to fully remove and reset default RPM`s.

All in all I run SMC Fan Control to monitor and add 1K RPM while charging, preferring the passive cooler stands. The Moshi Zefyr adds another dimension, and it does as advertised just mind we are talking about reducing case temp not internals...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

The cooler you linked "The Tilt" adds a lot of bulk to the MBP and I would really like to see some real world figures on it`s ability to keep the case cool the Zefyr 2 from personal experience does work. "The Tilt" will no doubt insulate the user from the heat generated, however I dont see it being effective as a passive cooler as the base of the machine is effectively enclosed. Powered up "The Tilt" may or not may not work effectively, you also have to remove "The Tilt" to access the USB connector, the Zefyr 2 has a dedicated slot & cable retention.

The bigest concern I have with "The Tilt" is; if the cooler unexpectedly disconnects from the MBP it will be a bad day all round. "The Tilt" is made from ABS and it`s locking mechanism may or may not wear over a period of time. Other coolers you are fully aware that you are dealing two separate items and the handling of etc.

I have tried many powered coolers over the years with Mac portables and they all pretty much did little or nothing, in some cases worse than a simple passive stand. The Zefyr 2 works like a passive stand, powered up the cooler flows air continuously across the entire base of the machine (3 adjustable speeds) in the horizontal plane, as opposed to most other powered coolers, which in general suck or blow in a vertical line of plane.

9. Elevon macrumors regular

Very nice laptop cooler! I might buy it myself =]

10. djsly, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

djsly macrumors newbie

I bought it on Kickstarter over a month ago and just received it last week. I personally love The Tilt and it has been well worth it.

11. Smork macrumors member

Sorry to popup an old thread, but have you tested the results with this on versus the temps when the cooling pad is off?

I'm looking for a good cooler, and have yet to find anything super nice. This seems to fit the bill but I cannot find any real world tests of this device.