MBP 15' i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamil.amersi, Dec 25, 2010.

1. kamil.amersi macrumors member

Hi All,

I have been looking at getting a 15' but the buyers guide says an upgrade is imminent. Is this the right time to buy and is it likely that the 15 inch i'm looking at will change much? Early 2011 sounds a little soon. Should i buy or should i wait? Whats your opinion? Kamil

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need it now? If you have a working computer, then I would wait as an update is expected to take place in Q1 2011, so fairly soon

3. kamil.amersi thread starter macrumors member

Completely agree - i have a working pc just super excited to try out a mac. The only thing i'm concerned about is if the price increases. They will probably keep the same prices right and just replace it with the newer machine? Do you think it will actually happen in march/april? Are the sources of the rumours accurate do you recon?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I echo what Hellhammer says and add that you may take a look at my signature line too.

Also, I'm sure it's just a typo, but Apple doesn't make a 15' (read 15 foot) MBP. But they do make a 15" (read 15 inch) MBP. :p

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually prices remain the same. I doubt 15" will go up, 1799$ is quite a lot already. Maybe even 100$ price drop.

Usually Apple updates MBPs in 8-11 months and last update was in April so I would expect an update in February-March timeframe

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's been saying upgrade soon for months now? So it's not accurate :p

But a new machine will show up ofcourse. If SSD becomes standard, then prices will go up.

The 13" MBP might be cheaper if they won't go for a SSD, since they won't have to pay Nvidia for a GPU.

7. kamil.amersi thread starter macrumors member

whats ssd?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Solid State Drive

Much faster than regular hard drives as it has no moving parts. Made from flash memory which can be found inside iPhone for example

9. kamil.amersi thread starter macrumors member

o ok! so this is the same as flash memory right? i saw it on the mcbook air. man it makes it so fast! the thing just starts up like that. hope the new mbp has that...

10. kamil.amersi thread starter macrumors member

i'm not a techno expert by any means, as you can see from my previous post, however ddoing research on sandy bridge and the direction of 2011 notebooks http://blogs.pcmag.com/miller/2010/12/2011_desktop_and_notebook_road.php i think that we are in a very exciting time for notebooks. the first sandy bridge notebook should be out extremely soon and even if the processor delivers on half what it is expected to, i think that we can expect some good performance from an end user perspective. secondly, i think that the macbook air has some very inovative cocepts and it will be great to see how they unfold in to mbp. overally, my view to anyone interested, is to wait atleast 1.5 months. by then we should have a better idea as to how the new processor is performing and what apple intends to do. worst case is we are not happy with the rave and revert back to the current version. but i think the next 2 months will be interesting.