MBP 15-inch -- Trackpad destruction

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cattywampus_, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

So I've had this fully loaded late 2013 model MBP for like 18 months now.

Back in June 2014, the trackpad stopped clicking on the right bottom side. It would click but no tactile click was felt. Before I had chance to get in touch with Apple, the problem resolved itself. I chalked it up to a bit of dirt had gotten in somewhere and was preventing it clicking.

So now in July 2014, the same damn thing has happened again. I left it a few days in hope it would resolve itself as before. It didn't.

So I opened the MBP up expecting to be able to clean the trackpad up from the inside but cause the batteries cover the trackpad up, it's impossible to remove the batteries safely

So I get some fine edge plastic squeegies and carefully and run them around the rim of the trackpad to try and lift the pad and disrupt whatever dirt is causing the problems and then bam, the glass covering the pad cracks in multiple places. Not only that but the pad is now not clicking at all.

Now I've opened up all my Apple laptops at some point after heir warranty expired and repairs problems myself. This is new layout of covering other components in glued down batteries makes it impossible to fix anything properly.

I'm a pretty level headed guy and it takes me a lot or get mad. But I was inscenced that not only could I access the trackpad in an easy way, but now I have made the trackpad useless with all the cracks.

I was so mad infact that I removed the entire trackpad in a rage. But this I mean I ripped off the glued down sheet that has the trackpad and glass coating.

I have booked a telephone chat with Apple support tomorrow to explain what has happened. When checking my previous cases, I realised that I did actually back in June 2014 book a telephone support call, and even though I actually cancelled the call cause the problem sorted it's self out, it is still listed as "trackpad not working as should".

The MBP is obviously needs to go to a repair centre to be looked at. I am just wondering what extortionate prices are gonna be.

Now that I ripped the trackpad off, does that make worse even though it was damaged.

Anyone any advice or stories of similar situations they can discuss about repair costs? I'm in the UK btw

Thanks

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Like as not Apple will replace the entire top Case, so be prepared for 200+

Q-6

3. nope7308, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Ugh, that blows. I had liquid damage to the trackpad on my late 2013 13" rMBP, so I know exactly how this feels.

Unfortunately, you'll need a new top case. No exceptions. Aside from everything being glued/soldered together, you don't have the option of ordering the parts individually. So, although the trackpad is the only issue, you will be replacing the trackpad, batteries, logic board, etc., hence the obscene cost. Speaking of which, you'd probably like to know what that is... $800 CAD before tax, assuming no further issues are found. It might be more for the 15" model.

If the trackpad is somewhat functional, I wouldn't bother with the repair. After taxes and any hidden surprises, you're looking at a bill close to $1k, which is roughly equivalent to the fair market value of the machine. Sadly, I'm just going to eat the expense and replace the machine when the MBP refresh comes out. Having a non-functional trackpad is just too much of a pain on a daily basis.

P.S. 99% sure you voided any potential warranty claim by going Hulk on it.

4. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

Yep I just got a quote saying it is going to be around £450 to repair through an Apple service centre. To say I'm disgusted is an understatement.

It would appear that I can pick up second hand trackpads for my model, and I have found a video that shows using IPA alcohol to dissolve the glue that holds the batteries to the chassis.

I wonder though how the trackpad is actually fixed to the chassis. If it's screws then sorted. But wouldn't be surprised if it was welded on or something stupid.

I have to say I have never questioned my choice when buying Apple laptops. Gotta say this has left a really bitter taste.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Yep, I remember that taste well...

This probably won't help, but the trackpad was incorporated into the topcase beginning with the late-2013 model, and is one of the most restrictive machines in terms of user-upgrades. In fact, I don't believe any part of this machine is user upgradeable -- not even the SSD.

You can always try a repair centre -- might have a few donor parts they could use? Either way, it isn't going to be easy, so best of luck.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have a look at iFixit for your model, I think the trackpad is retained by screws. IPA should help to free the battery you just need to be extremely careful as the batteries soft casing can tear easily. Worst case you can replace the battery as they are also available and it would still be way under Apple`s price. I would ask another store what the price was for a battery replacement as that also replaces the top case and I doubt it`s 450.

I am very certain that Apple significantly increase their margin on upgrades, and after this looks to be the same for repairs...

Q-6

7. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a look on iFixit and they basically say that without a lot of hard work and risk, them batteries ain't coming off.

The Youtube video gives advice on removing the batteries with alcohol and a syringe and needle. Several issues with this are: chances of the alcohol eating into the batteries, small un-noticable punctures and holes in the batteries that when put back cause fire and/or damage to the other components. One guy who comments says that he tried the method, but when he put everything back his display had black spots all over it.

I just don't feel comfortable removing the batteries and then putting them back in. My MBP is fully loaded and expensive and I don't want to risk knackering the mainboard and all the components attached to it.

I guess the only other DIY solution is to buy a new set of batteries and use them instead, but its more expense and hassle.

At least if I get Apple to do it, I know everything will be genuine Apple products and the work will be guarenteed. I might try a couple of other service centres and see if they can give me a better price.

Also, once the top chassis is replace, I can ask for the old one back. I am sure someone on ebay would buy it for spare parts or whatever.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It has been done and posted here, however the batteries outer soft case ruptured in the process of removal. think it`s doable equally you would need the right tools, some technical experience, and great deal of patience.

Personally would just let Apple deal with it as the risk is far less. The biggest issue with DIY is if something does go wrong then you have absolutely no "comeback" with Apple and potential left with a very expensive paperweight. All the same I would try and negotiate with Apple to do the work as a battery replacement as I believe this would be far cheaper.

Q-6

9. dza macrumors member

I also had a trackpad that 'fell down' and did not press on right bottom of the pad. Like it 'fell down' a step in that corner.

Tell Apple their trackpad is not made to last. But be prepared to hear and get disappointed because you attempted a repair yourself. So do it in a constructive manner and make sure the guy you speak to is understanding.

10. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm maybe this is a common problem....

Anyway - as I have already said -- when I cracked the glass coating and realised that I had caused more damage, I went hulk and ripped the touchpad layer from the rest of the trackpad housing. There is no way I could now even argue a case that this is an Apple defect. I just gotta find the cheapest way of getting it repaired.

11. dza macrumors member

I wish all the best to you. Try finding a ebay store with such replacements on macbook pro retina and contact seller.. There must be someone that buys defect/broken/selfcaused Macbook damage..