MBP 15" intel or MBP new 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sirkification, Apr 18, 2011.

1. sirkification macrumors newbie

I am a student doing my last year of high school going onto uni next year. Now I want my MBP to last me a long time but my dad gave me an offer since he lives in an mining area he bought himself the new MBP 13" and he getting another one in for my sister. I got the older model intel based with a 320gb hardrive bought september or october 2009. He said that I can swap it with him. But with what work I do now and what I want to continue requires me to do editing both movies and pictures with photoshop and final cut (Btw am I the only excited about the newer version?). I am asking you guys because I am not to good comparing with computer specs. Can the MBP 13" handle editing movies and pictures without that lag? Should I swap? My dad is coming down in three more days so could you give your opinion asap please?

P.S The only thing the matter with the 15" is that the bottom right hand corner is dented in and the update server thing that I posted before hand, everything else works fine.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you list the specs of both machines? The 13" has a better CPU but probably a worse GPU. In your tasks, the better CPU should be more important though.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

any current MBP will not lag while editing video. thats why theyre "pro"

4. sirkification thread starter macrumors newbie

15"
    - 4 gb memory
    - 320 gb hard drive
    - 2.53 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
    - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

13"
    2.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Is that all the specs what else should I include?

5. kolax macrumors G3

That's some successful marketing from Apple right there.

6. bamf macrumors 6502

If you are serious about needing to use Final Cut, I suggest you take a look at the requirements:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

The current version of Final Cut will work with the Intel HD 3000, but it's the only integrated video card that it will work with. The new version may require a dedicated card, but there isn't a way to know for sure at this point (unless Apple released specs at the conference recently).

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is all I need. I would switch because you have the slowest 15" with 9400M. If your MBP had 9600M GT in it, then it would be a harder choice since it's better than Intel HD 3000, but 9400M isn't.

8. sirkification, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

sirkification thread starter macrumors newbie

Im gonna buy the newer one when it comes out since its way cheaper than the current one, in the mean time i'll just use other sources. Can I add a dedicated card later on? How much would it cost me?

Edit: I almost forgot the 13" has apple care on it as well

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no you wont be able to add a graphics card cause they got rid of the express slot after the '08 models for some reason!!!:mad:

that is the reason i held onto my 08 for as long as i could but unfortunately i just replaced it because of a faulty display.

sorry for the rant

10. bamf macrumors 6502

It is possible that some manufacturer may develop a Thunderbolt external video adapter, but that's pure speculation at this point. You can change the video cards that come with your Mac, so it's a limiting factor at this point that you really need to consider which way you want to go.

Now, the Intel HD 3000 may very well be better than the 9400m like HellHammer said above.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

The thunderbolt graphics card would be great!!! where did you hear about that?

12. bamf macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt is basically external PCIe, so the sky is the limit really.

13. sirkification thread starter macrumors newbie

could someone explain what thunderbolt exactly is? I know its a new feature but what does it exactly do?

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i know what it is but i thought you had read an article about it. im really hoping that they get moving on something like that

15. kolax macrumors G3

USB 3.0 competitor, only faster. Up to 10Gbps of data speeds in both directions.

It also has Mini DisplayPort built in, so you can daisy chain an external hard drive, speakers and an external display all from just one port on your Mac.

16. FOX160 macrumors regular

Dont know if this helps you but I bought the base 13 inch i5 model
    I use an Contour 1080 HD for my Downhill mountain biking and
    just bought Aperture 3 off Apple's web site for £ 44.99p sterling pounds.

All I do is load up all video clips and photos on location and the do the editing
    at home on the external 23 inch monitor.

My set up is the 13 inch i5 MBP and use a LaCie 1TB external hard drive
    and a Samsung syncmaster 2333HD TV/Monitor.