Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinetic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Seattle, WA
Finally decided to snag a 2018 15" 2.6/512/560X for $1800 with AppleCare, but besides TB3 (external GPU support is pretty sweet), what else am I getting that my *beloved* late 2013 2.6/512/DG doesn't do?

I play some WoW (I know, I know), do base Photos stuff, and surf the web basically. Might be getting into programming, but the i7/SSD in the Late 2013 is plenty fast.

Thoughts on if the 2018 is worth it? I hate that I can only sell the 2013 for like $750 :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thoughts on if the 2018 is worth it?
Worth is subjective, and it doesn't sound you *need* the newer machine. Yet, I totally understand the thought process because the 2013 is an older machine. I think 750 for a 6 year old laptop is very good.

You do know that WWDC is around the corner and people are expecting Apple to roll out their 2019 offerings - of course the same expectation occurred last year and while we did see an update, it wasn't at WWDC - just food for thought.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Generally things will go faster for everything you want to do. Good luck selling your 2014 for $750. It better be in pristine new condition if you think you are going to get that much for it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm assuming you bought it in 2013 here. If you think $750 would be a big loss, you should work on your expectation management. That would be a fairly high price for that model, particularly as a private seller. It's way more than I would pay.

Edit: For some reason I read that it was a 13" 2013. I guess the 15" would take more.

Assuming you have the original battery, it's almost certainly going to need replacement in the next year or 2, and a buyer needs to factor that in. I would count on potentially needing a new battery within the next 1-2 years anytime one hasn't been changed in >2 years. Keyboards are also not immortal and can fail, albeit at a lower rate than the butterfly nonsense that they use today.

Cpu and ssd upgrades also don't add a lot to resale value due to the cpus still being of an older generation and ssds having finite (but often very long) lifespans and also the fact that they are slightly slower than the newest ones (not that it typically matters in actual use).

I'm personally with @maflynn on this one though. Why not wait for the next generation if you're don't have an immediate need to upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.