Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Hello,

I've recently switched to mac with the 15" MBP matte display. So far I like it very much, except for one thing: the colour profile. I found that the default one was very washed out (in contrast) and did not render well some colours. For instance, a web page that I visit frequently has a #8888ff background. On my old pc and on another old mbp 15" matte (2007), that colour is blue while on my new one it is more purplish (see it at http://www.colorpicker.com/). Moreover, I don't see anything at all on the white saturation test (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php) for 249-254 and I have some slight flickering in the inversion test for 4a/4b (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php).

So, after unsuccessfully trying to calibrate the display with the Calibrator Assistant, I searched through the forum and found the MBP15-9CA3 Native 22 profile which helped with the contrast (although my screen is a 9CB1) and the 249/250 became visible in the white saturation test. Then I played with SuperCal and made my profile. That didn't help much with the purple effect.

So, I have a set of questions:
1. What profile do you use for the matte display ?
2. Do you see my colour as more purple or more blue ?
3. What should I do ? ;)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Profiles.zip
    147.1 KB · Views: 93

magallanes

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
South of Jurassic Park
Apple build their notebook using different kind and models of LCD.

Plus, there are some quality difference into the same model of notebook but different batch.

So, i don't think it is possible to use the same profile from another notebook.

cyberpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Apple build their notebook using different kind and models of LCD.

Plus, there are some quality difference into the same model of notebook but different batch.

So, i don't think it is possible to use the same profile from another notebook.
Sure, but if there is a common problem, it would help to test others' settings.

Btw, since you own a matte 15", can you tell if you see my colour as purplish or blueish and what ranges of the white test you can see?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
So, I have a set of questions:
1. What profile do you use for the matte display ?
2. Do you see my colour as more purple or more blue ?
3. What should I do ? ;)

Thanks!

1) I use a profile created with an X-Rite i1Display 2 colorimeter and Match 3 software. It is calibrated to a 2.2 gamma and a 6500k white point. I recalibrate it monthly.
2) Both of your profiles are bluer than the one I use.
3) Buy a colorimeter or spectrometer if color calibrating your display is truly important to your work with the computer. Relying on your eyes to gauge color will not produce an accurate or repeatable result.

Sure, but if there is a common problem, it would help to test others' settings.

The only 'common problem' I see with this display is a bit of product-related hypochondria on the part of the users. This forum seems to encourage it.

cyberpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
The only 'common problem' I see with this display is a bit of product-related hypochondria on the part of the users. This forum seems to encourage it.
I don't know about the others, but for me it is kind of disappointing to have bought a high-tech laptop and have to cope with bad-rendered colours. And no, it is not my imagination: i did some test on the old macbook vs the new one and over all I have too much red, the yellows are flashy and some greys are brownish.

I have apple care, do you think I can ask for a display change (it is not the graphic card, right?) ?

jiE

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
The color #8888ff looks purple on my MBP 15" matte late 2007 model as well.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Well, I have a 15" anti-glare with a 9CB2 display, which I prefer over the 9CB1, as that one also had some odd mesh pattern over moving images. At least on mine.
However, do keep in mind that Snow Leopard swithces the native gamma to 2.2 which can tend to oversaturate the colors, making blues have a slightly purplish hue on some LCDs.
I did notice this with the 9CB1, but do not notice it on my 9CB2 with my calibration.

cyberpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Well, I have a 15" anti-glare with a 9CB2 display, which I prefer over the 9CB1, as that one also had some odd mesh pattern over moving images. At least on mine.
However, do keep in mind that Snow Leopard swithces the native gamma to 2.2 which can tend to oversaturate the colors, making blues have a slightly purplish hue on some LCDs.
I did notice this with the 9CB1, but do not notice it on my 9CB2 with my calibration.
Thanks for your input. Well, I come from PC where the colours are even more saturated (I think gamma is around 2.4) so I am used to that.

How did you switch from your 9CB1 to 9CB2 screen? Bribed someone at the apple store? ;)

cyberpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
There is a substantial amount of red in that color (R:136 G:136 B:255). Blue plus red equals purple, so...
Hmm, yes, but there's an equal amount of green, so that should even out.

On the new MBP the colour #8888FF is similar to the colour #AA88DD on the old MBP...

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have a 9CB1 screen in my MBP. The colors it renders are consistent with my ACD 30", which is of course color calibrated with my i1display 2 device as well (with some additional constraints on luminance and ambient light since the 30" monitor doesn't change position or location much at all, unlike my laptop). I have attached my current 9CB1 profile to this post.

Gamma essentially describes contrast. A gamma value of 2.2 is the standard on Windows machines and sRGB. OS X used a default gamma value of 1.8 until Snow Leopard was released. The default gamma under Snow Leopard is now 2.2. You could and still can override the default gamma settings in the Display Calibration Assistant. Being consistent with the Windows world and using a gamma of 2.2 is the safer choice (people who buy my photographs mostly use Windows, for example, and I want to make sure they and I are seeing the same colors).

You're free to try to take your machine back to Apple, but unless the panel is pretty bad they're more likely to blame your vision or calibration approach than the hardware.

Attachments

• Monitor_11-10-09_1.icc.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 122

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have a 9CB1 screen in my MBP. The colors it renders are consistent with my ACD 30", which is of course color calibrated with my i1display 2 device as well (with some additional constraints on luminance and ambient light since the 30" monitor doesn't change position or location much at all, unlike my laptop). I have attached my current 9CB1 profile to this post.

I have to say, this is a beautiful profile for the 9CB1. The default is so blue and quite bright, making fonts appear a bit faint. I'm really happy with the screen now, thanks for sharing that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.