MBP 15" Matte: Weird Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Apr 6, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi all,

Just today I found that after taking my MBP out of my heavy backpack, there developed a small region on the left-hand side of the screen of bright (kind of blurry) pixels.
    The region is apparent in all light colors. When dark colors are placed over the region, it disappears. This makes me think it's not a defect and there's a way to fix it.

Can anyone help?

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Can you post a picture of it somehow? Perhaps using a mirror and the camera?

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Same thing happened to me a while back with my first gen MBP. What I did was find a wallpaper that shows this the most and showed it to a genious who promptly sent it in for an LCD replacement.

4. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Do the Geniuses need to send it in somewhere or can they do it on the spot the same day?

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

They generally don't stock the LCDs, so even if they're willing to do the repair in-store, there will be a wait for the part to arrive.

The default behavior is to send it in, but many stores will do this particular repair in-store if requested.

6. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Is there a chance that they will give me a new machine and switch the hard drives?

7. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

How old is your MBP. If it is relatively new, the repairs will take awhile, and you press hard enough, you should be able to get a new one. You might have difficulty getting a hard drive swap though. Make a backup first!

8. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

15 days old. Is that OK? What should I bring with me to the store?

9. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Copy of your receipt... they should be able to look up your information, but this can speed things along.

Be firm but polite. If they say repairs will take a long time (more than a week) or they have to ship it out, ask for a replacement, because you've only had it for 2 weeks, and you absolutely must have a computer for blah blah reason (needed for your job, as a student, whatever makes sense).