MBP 15" Mid 2011 completely crashed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WTHMBP, Mar 6, 2013.

1. WTHMBP macrumors newbie

I had Photoshop and iTunes open when my MBP crashed. I let it hang for a few minutes then searched on my phone for all my options.
    Here's all the info I can provide.

- It was plugged in when the crash occurred.
    -Hard resetting won't even work. (Held power button numerous times from 5 seconds up to minutes)
    -The screen stays on when I close the lid although the little light on the front does come on when the lid is closed.
    - The battery indicator does respond and all the green lights show up when I press the little button.
    - Keyboard lights are still on.
    - it's been sat like this for over an hour now

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

So it's still on? Does it have the beach ball of death currently?

3. WTHMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

So I thought I would update in case anyone else ever has this problem.

It was still on with no ball of death or anything. Nothing at all would move. The screen was stuck on what it crashed on.

I left it for about 4-5 hours until the battery was dead. I could check the battery level by the little indicator on the left. When it turned off I left it for about 30 mins and then pressed the power button to turn it on with the power source connected. Nothing happened.

Left the power in for about 10 minuties and tried again, this time it powered up as usual. Took a little longer than usual but not majorly long. Anyway, it's fine now. Running perfectly.

Even the .psd files I had open at the time were all still fine. Still quite confused at this because it hasn't happened before and searching just brings up people saying there laptop won't start up. Mine wouldn't shut down!

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If the battery is completely drained it takes a few minutes before you can startup, this is normal.
    It also takes a bit longer after a crash.

What is not normal is that even the Power button did not work, this never happened to me on any Mac, but this does not mean too much, if it happens again reset the SMC and that's it.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Were you running Photoshop when the crash happened? My theory is that the GPUs switched and cause a crash. I've seen people report that their GPUs cause serious lag when they switch.

6. WTHMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have Photoshop open at the time along with iTunes. Nothing else open but your theory about the GPU makes sense.

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary though so I just have to hope it doesn't happen again.