MBP 15", mid 2012 hinge. Is it loose or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, May 31, 2014.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

When I hold the base perpendicular to the ground, the lid will fall closing it or cracking it open.

Is that supposed to happen at all? I got the whole display assembly replaced and I can't remember how it was before. I found out the behavior when testing it.

I know MBAs don't have a tight hinge, but what about cMBP, 15"? I've already done some research and it seems there are mixed opinions. Some say it's by design, other say it's a flaw. Also, let me stress 15", as the lid is obviously heavier than the 13" one, so maybe 13" stays in position but 15" not due to weight.

What do you guys think?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My 13" stays where I put it at any angle of screen and base, at at any angle of either to the ground - it just stays where you put it so to me yours sounds like a loose hinge....

3. Freyqq macrumors 601

I had the exact same issue with my 2010 15" mbp, and they replaced the screen. Now, the hinge is much tighter.

4. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would they replace the whole display instead of just tightening the hinge?

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

As above my screen stays exactly where I put it. It never moves on its own.
    My screen was replaced by Apple too but the old one behaved the same as the new one.

6. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm thanks. Now I wonder if it just needs some tightning or the replacement of the whole display.

7. Quackers macrumors 6502a

There may be some adjustment for tightness in the hinge - not sure.

8. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it a retina macbook pro or the normal one?

If you make the 90 degrees test, putting the base perpendicular to the ground and open the screen to 90 degrees, will it fall?

The thing is that yours is a retina. Lid is lighter and maybe theyve rebuilt the hinges. I need to compare mine exactly to another cMBP 15".

9. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

That is a pretty pointless test. When is that ever going to happen in normal use?

Barney

10. chrfr macrumors 604

There was no retina MBP in 2010. I am typing this on a 2012 non-retina MBP. The screen stays where I've put it regardless of the angle of the computer.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its a worst case scenario and the screen still shouldn't move. What other selection of angles would you suggest a test at? No doubt we can then have endless debates about the validity of those cases.

Out at 90deg under the weight of the screen, it shouldn't move....

----------

My wife's 15" cMBP (2011)....also stays in the same place regardless of angle.

12. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, of course that test is valid. It just shows mine is looser than other people's, as the other members have confirmed. That's it.

What exactly should I tell the tech people? Cause the lid is not THAT loose, but as I said, it should be tighter. They might think that Im being picky or overreacting. I'm asking this because Im not in the US, so over here there are no apple genius but rather apple authorized repair guys. Im not sure I can convince them to exchange the whole lid based on that.

Any ideas?

13. Freyqq macrumors 601

2010 15" mbp. There was no retina mbp back then.