MBP 15" *Non-Retina* LG Panel Issues? - anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tallia, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tallia, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

tallia macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MBP 15" and for 2 weeks was going nuts that something was wrong with the colors/contrast/etc. I just felt it was dull or lacking in something that I couldn't put my finger on. Admittedly I'm one to notice these things as I'm also an artist and visually oriented, but when I brought it in to the store where I purchased it, even the Mac experts and techs there saw the difference with their floor models and were unable to calibrate it to match. I got a new one instead but again, same thing and I have spent countless hours trying to calibrate it to look near as good but it's not possible.

I just discovered how to check the panel model and this is an LG (as was my last one I'm guessing). I still have yet to find out what the floor models are, but I'm curious - has anyone else had a NON-RETINA MBP with color/contrast issues? (also check say, itunes where the blue over 'music' etc contrasts with the grey of the rest of the column - the blue is not as rich when the grey is rich and vise versa -you can't get rich colors that contrast.)

I finally fingured out it's the white - the white of the LG panel is always off a slightly ashy or yellowy or dusty color - you can't get a true pure white - the closest you can get forces you to use too much blue and everything else turns blueish.

So anyway - just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if they've had any luck with apple in terms of what to do? I spent way too much money to keep this model but the store I purchased it at (a best buy) can't keep opening stock until they find one with say, a Samsung model, and all the Best Buys in the area get the stock from the same warehouse so they are all probably shipping with LG panels right now.

Really bummed. I can't live without a computer right now and I didn't spend all this money to get an inferior product - especially when my work requires a lot of medical image viewing (never mind it's like an itch on my brain seeing this 'lack' of color/contrast - it will make me nuts).

Others don't see it and it's not being as bright is a big easier on the eyes admittedly, but still..i'm not happy.

(also, I have to have it on max brightness always - it's fine on that but I would like the option for brighter - seems to max out at too low a brightness)

2. jgamble macrumors newbie

Same Thing

Tallia I have the exact same problem and the exact same computer, except I believe it is a viewing angle issue. My screen looks best when sitting around 110 deg from open but if i pull it up to 90 deg where I normally have my screen its all washed out. I was previously using a 2009 13" MBP where I could view the screen from any angle without the washout. My friend has a 2011 15" MBP and he has the same good quality viewing angle my 13 did. My display is also an LG and I think this is where the problem lies. I will check my old computer and my friends to see who makes the pannel on those.

This has been killing me, so glad I found your thread!