MBP 15 notUnib max external resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bogart, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bogart macrumors member

I have the 15 inch MBP that was just before the current unibody version.

All this talk on cinema displays leads me to think about a decent external display. What's the max resolution/size I can drive ? I note that the Apple Cinema display (which I can't drive as I have DVI out) is 1720 x 1200 - will my MBP drive one of that resolution ? What about bigger ?

I can't look this up because all the info on the apple site is about the new unibody.

Any recommendations for a display ? I was thinking 24 inch but haven't ruled out bigger if I could drive it from my machine.

andy

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

You'll be looking at 2560x1600 if you have an 8600 graphics card. I'm not sure about the 7000-series.

If you're looking for a monitor, you need to ask yourself what you are going to use it for. If you are using it to work with print/tv production work or for a bigger viewing area to watch some movies, write papers and the such.

The former will require a ~$600 + monitor.
    The latter will require a $150-$400 investment.

Here is my recomendation:
    Link

You could drive the new ACD with this adaptor.

4. bogart thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou to both posters for this very useful info.

However - what's ACD ? Both links in this post go to the same place - the Samsung 2443BWX - what was the second link supposed to be (the adapter) ?

andy

5. naid macrumors regular

ACD = Apple Cinema Display

Your laptop can drive an external display of up to 2560x1600.

I was also able to run an early 2008 Penryn at 3840x1200 (two 26" monitors side by side, each running 1920x1200).

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Oh, sorry about the links. ACD is Apple Cinema Display. I.e., that awesome new monitor from Apple.

I'm not exactly sure if the new ACD will work with an older MBP. I haven't seen anyone with that type of setup. I think it might work with the Mini-DisplayPort to Dual DVI adaptor, but I'm not sure.

Like I said, don't get a top of the line IPS panel. Stay within your budget and get something you'll like. Save some cash and buy someone something nice.