Mbp 15" options for better resale?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgrrsh26, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

I decided on getting a 15 in mbp with 512 extra vid mem, I'm gonna be playing games as well as all types of creative artwork from music-movies, what options should I consider in case arrandale come out and I want more from selling this notebook?

Should I consider 3.06?
    The HD can always be upgraded at a later date right?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes, get the 3.06 GHz processor, and maybe put in a larger/maybe faster HARD DRIVE. happy?

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You will never recoup more than you pay for it now, so don't waste it if you don't need it.

It will help with the resale, but never as much as you paid for it.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There are things that you could look at like RAM and HDD and CPU (but isn't really a factor). You also have to consider what people are selling in the same area. I know of someone who got the base late-2008 MacBook Pro for $2400 and some change in March or April and was able to sell it for $2100 by maxing the RAM to 4GB (officially) and 500GB WD HDD. They also added some extras like things for the MacBook Pro (external mouse, Mini DisplayPort adaptor, etc.) As far as computers go, the price could be a bit lower but because others were selling last generation MacBook Pro's for the same price along with some of the unibody MacBook Pro's with less specs but almost equivalent prices, the sale was made.

So I would look at maxing out the specs of the computer (RAM and HDD specifically) and then take a close look at what others are selling at.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

With all due respect, I differ entirely. SSD prices are falling at a faster rate than HDD prices; there is no way he could come out better in the end from buying one now. As for the processor, I would think that it would go without saying that processor upgrades don't make that much of a difference when it comes to resale value, at least not close to what Apple charges for such a small upgrade.

For resale value to be good, you have to sell it right when people are speculating about the new notebooks with high probability of an imminent launch. Meaning, if it's suspected that Apple will be announcing a new laptop October 5th, then you must sell it before that date. It takes some guesswork and the risk that you could be without a laptop, but that's the best way to get the most resale value. Other than that, you can only take the usual advice. Keep the laptop clean and in the best condition that you can, and don't waste money on upgrades that you can't take with you, such as the processor. If you opt for an SSD, it should be because you want to put it in any new MBP that you decide to buy, not because of resale, because you will surely lose money on it.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

SSD upgrade may not be the best for resale. If you buy today that is a huge plop of cash for the SSD. In a year, just basing it on normal hardware trends, that SSD may not be of any value since the bigger, faster SSD will surely be a better purchase.
    I never bought any computer thinking of the resale value.
    JMO