MBP 15 or 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyam09, Dec 1, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

yes tere are a lot of posts but hear me out please..

i wanted to know the specs that are suitable for each one. my dad (who is paying) is now convinced that 15" is better. so i was wondering should i get the antiglare screen or not, etc. typical specs that are nice to have and things like that.

maybe post what you have in your models too?!

also for the 15"- does the weight feel "different" compared to the 13" i know that they weigh different but i have heard they "feel" almost the same?:confused::confused::apple:

I just want something to surf the Internet with, check email, listen to some tunes and word process with. and some video editing, and maybe some photo-editing etc. and some light gaming ex armagetron..

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The main question is, what are you going to use it for? 15" won't be faster in Safari or MSN but in things that require CPU or GPU, it will be.

3. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

It weighs more, simply. It weighs more over a larger surface area, precisely.

For your needs a 13" MBP is enough. If your light gaming is really "light" that is. Otherwise If you think you will end up playing some more heavy games I would go for 15"

other than that 13" is all you need.

But if you must get 15" the Matte Screen is nice if you don't like glare. And the upgradable Resolution is a plus if you need more Screen Real Estate

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I know you want definitives, but unfortunately, it all comes down to personal preferences and usage in every category.

Matte vs. Gloss: some people swear by Matte, some people just can't see footing the upgrade charge for it. Best thing to do is look at them in the Apple store side by side. I have the glossy screen on my 13" and I have no problem with it. The colors are very vibrant on it. I prefer it to my matte screened 23" monitor, not in size obviously, but in just crispness and quality. though my monitor is not an Apple, it's an Acer. But my point is it's preference. The glossy picks up glare from light directly behind you, yes. But I've gotten used to it, and I barely see the glare, even when it is there (and it's not always there).

Processor-wise, you're going to get more horsepower out of the i5 in the 15", not a TON more horsepower, but if you do processor intensive stuff like audio or video, you might like the extra juice. But again, I have the base model 13", and it handles me working in Pro Tools, Studio One, and Garage Band just fine.

I also very much like the footprint on the 13". I think after using it I'd feel like the 15" was a little bulky. But I might get used to that too. again, preference.

If someone was getting me one or the other, I'd get the 15", just because I know i'd be getting processor that's a little more future proof, a little more screen resolution, and internal speakers that were a little bit better.

5. azazel- macrumors regular

azazel-

Just bought the 15" mid-level MBP yesterday, and owned a mid-2009 13" MBP until about 4 months ago, so I'll chime in here;

I know this will sound rather simplistic, but it's essentially accurate; the 15" is the 13", just bigger/faster/heavier. It is what it is. Screen doesn't feel nearly as cramped. It's noticeably heavier when holding it...the 15" isn't light. Will it crush your vertebrae walking with it in a backpack? Probably not, but it's heavier than the 13", and you'll notice it, comparing the two.

Overall, I feel more...comfortable, with the 15". The 13" (for me) required far too much window-switching and shuffling, and it got frustrating after awhile when I'd try to do anything about browsing or checking emails.

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I feel like the 15 has better speakers since it has dedicated grilles.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used both and to be honest both have the advantage/disadvantages.

The 15" has more screen real estate, and a faster more modern architecture.

The 13" is smaller/lighter and more mobile, less expensive.

For my needs, I think the 13" is a great machine, the cost, weight/size and performance all work within my needs.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I just recently upgraded from a 13" Alu Macbook, to a Brand New 15" Macbook Pro. After using it for a few weeks now, I don't think I'll ever buy anything smaller. I try to use friends 13" pros, and the screen just seems to small. The 15" is still very portable, and significantly more powerful than the 13". In my Opinion, the 15" is a great machine, and If you can, go with it for sure. Im really loving the extra screen. And the weight difference is noticeable, but you get used to it quickly.

9. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Also consider that the processor in the 13" is archaic now and we all know we like to have our e-peens be as big as possible, so if it's no big deal to your dad, get the latest and greatest! ;)

I don't notice any difference in portability with either so you shouldn't have a problem either way.

10. Muscle macrumors regular

15" but I'm biased :D

Like other's said, newer tech, bigger display and you're only sacrificing a tad less portability / battery life.

I carry my 15" around campus all day and its fine.