MBP 15 or 17

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eXpress, May 20, 2007.

1. eXpress macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I've been a Windows User all my life, but recently decided to make the switch to Mac before I go to college. I decided on the MacBook Pro and was just wondering whether people would recommend the upper-end 15'' or the 17''. i read the little thing in the mac guide about size but I really just wanted to hear some others opinions

Thanks for the help

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It really depends on what you'll be using it for but here's my .02

If you're going to have two windows open at once I'd go 17 because then you can read both at the same time without having to switch back and forth. For example you're doing research and are reading from the web or a word doc at the same time you're writing a paper; this is what I use my external monitor for on my MB.

But if you're going to be carrying it around a lot and it needs to be portable I'd say 15 since the 17 really is quite a bit larger. You should also consider the cost.

3. eXpress thread starter macrumors member

bumping this because im purchasing within the next couple days so its getting down to crunch time

4. nightelf macrumors 6502

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I'm very happy with the size of my powerbook 17''. If you have the cash, don't hesitate to buy the largest one. On the downside, if you want to cary it with you all the time some find it a little bit large. I bought a good backsak for it and take him home from work every day since 2 years.

There's rumours going round that there wil be an upgrade before or on the wwdc so watch out to buy right now.

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I just bought the high end 15" and I love it. I know people advise waiting for WWDC but if you need it now then get it now. This is only a rumour site so the suggestion that LED screens will be added in June to MBP is just a rumour (a lot of people were disappointed with the recent MB updates based on what they believed from rumours). I don't think the Santa Rosa chip is going to make a huge difference to the MBP (if it gets added at all) you may see a slight bump from 2.33Ghz to 2.4Ghz and slightly longer battery times.

I don't know how anyone can carry around a 17" laptop, I'm sure it's real handy to have but for me it's just too big as a portable. If you need extra real estate then get an external monitor.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

8. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Personally I would get a 15" and with the price difference get an external 19" LCD monitor for $150 or whatever they are these days. This way you have a much more portable computer, saved some dough, and have two displays when you're plugged in at home or your dorm room.

I would at least go look at the 17" computers before you buy. They're stinkin' big.

Greg.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have the 17" and love it. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all.

That said, *I* wouldn't be buying in the next few days - unless i had a class starting say June 1 and HAD to have it. At this point, the rumored changes in the 15" model would make me wait for WDCC.

I don't regret buying my 17" in February. I needed it. If i had had a working solution I would have waited a bit more....

10. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Definately go for the 15inch. The only advantage is screen estate which can easily be overcome by having an external monitor at home where you can hook ur 15inc to.

Unless you seriously need every bit of extra screen size while ur on the road, i dont know ur a professional of some sort, you shuld just get the 15 which is more portable and u get the large screen at home.

11. eXpress thread starter macrumors member

sorry im new with apple and all so i dont know a whole lot about WWDC. My question is if they announce these rumored changes to the 15'' how long does it take for them to hit the market.

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I would wait for WWDC because they're probaly going to update the Pro's then or before. As for screen size... I'm having the same problem, I'm getting a MBP soon, but am stuck between the two. I'd best reccomend seeing what you need it for, if you need the extra two-ish inches, go for it, but if you're going to have to take it with you a lot, I'd get the 15. But also when considering which one to buy, as of right now, the 17 has a few extras (faster optical drive, extra USB port, "30" min. more battery life)

13. macjay macrumors 6502

I say go 15 unless you have a specific need or strong personal preference for the 17.

14. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I love my 17 inch :) I carry it around alot with me and I dont have an complaints (and this is coming from someone who had a 12inch).
    Seriously, the extra screen space is nice, but it depends on what you do.

15. eXpress thread starter macrumors member

so i decided to at least wait till WWDC to purchase my MBP. Hopefully we hear sooner than that about the update we all want to see but if not, oh well I'll still get my MBP and be very happy

16. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Go for the 17'' there is a lot more real estate but not a lot more physically.