MBP 15" OR iMac and 13"MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dragonbong, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dragonbong macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get a take on this. I recently sold my Macbook and still have a 2.66ghz iMac at home. I was going to pull the trigger on a new shiny MBP than I started doing some checking the the 330M I wish it were a better card.

So I got the idea to sell my iMac as well and get the iMac i7 and a low end MBP 13.

Now this is what I would use it for. I need a portable for presentations, I do light photoshop and web work, entering into video FCP etc. I also bootcamp for bits of gaming (L4D, Dragon Age) and eyeing SC2 later on.

With this in mind there are 3 issues.
    1:
    iMac's Radeon 4850: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...Radeon+HD+4850
    vs
    MBP Nvida 330m: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...eForce+GT+330M

2:
    the iMac Screen issues (yellowing)

and

3:
    the cost will be about $300 more so $900 MBP only vs $1200 iMac and low end MBP.
    I would like to save some money but damm only $300 more... aargghh

Any nuggets of wisdom?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There is no yellowing on the 27" displays, as they use LEDs not CCFL backlighting, LEDs won't yellow.

The iMac i7's graphics chip will be perfectly fine for you to play L4D etc. Even in the highest settings! Check reviews on YouTube, there are plenty on gaming on the i7.

$300 more .. For a Quad Core with a 27" Screen, and a brand new portable 13"? I'd say it's worth it.

3. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought they had a yellow tint issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940

4. Lotharseven macrumors newbie

So you're getting a new I7 iMac for 1200 and a new low end 13" MBP for 900? Just trying to figure out the cost.

5. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

After selling all of my computers (the Macbook and old iMac + work paying for a bit) the cost would be $900 for the MBP 15" and $1200 for the low end MBP 13" and the 27" iMac.

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

for $300 more I'd consider it, the 27" iMacs are very nice. Only con is the usual "keeping files/folders in sync between 2 or more computers" like having the same music/video/documents on both or if you're on the road with your 13" MBP and realize "drat, that video/document I want to use now is on the iMac 27" hard drive!".

7. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

I think I can keep the files straight. Anyone hear anything about sandy bridge?

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you even consider waiting for Sandy Bridge, you're going to be sat here for another year.

The current machines are fantastic! And the MBPs were just updated, just purchase the iMac i7 and the 13" MBP and be a happy chappy ;)

To be honest, I think you've given me an idea on my next Apple purchase. On the next iMac Refresh I'm buying the top-end (Or i7 whichever comes first), and on the next MBP refresh I'll be buying the mid-range 15" again :) I would get the 13", but I just don't like the thought of not having a dedicated graphics card in there!

Thats my 2 cents.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sandy Bridge is another year away (Q1 2011) and then OS X 10.7 is only months away plus Ivy Bridge is late 2011 (or 2012)...

Don't wait for technology to develop as if you do, you can't buy anything!

10. JNickyJJ macrumors member

For the tiny price more the iMac 27 i feel would be much better for you, unless you desperately need the portability[​IMG]

11. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

Not desperate for the portability, but there have been a few times that I can remember where it's saved my butt at work. I think the MBP 13" would be ok. I saw some benchmarks and the 320 looks close to the 9600.

I have to change my mindset to "need it get it" and not "wait just a bit, its just around the corner"..

12. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm going to grab a 15" MBP actually I just got some new projects that require more on site work. The refresh for iMac's will probably happen first. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit for my iMac upgrade. :)
    Thanks for your help!