MBP 15" or iPad for present?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheapncheerful, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. cheapncheerful macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2010
    Hey guys newbie here!!

    My wife's birthday is coming up and looking to pick up something for her. I am thinking either MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 or an iPad wifi.

    I was gonna pick up the MBP already until I realized it's about the end of MBP cycle. It has been a while since last release. Based on how often Apple updates and releases their products, It seems kinda late for MBP. Plus I used to buy a Macbook just before the upgrade. I felt BAD!!! That's why I came up with iPad as an alternatives.

    Reason to buy MBP:
    She has a 2006 white plastic intel base iMac but was looking to downsize the computer to save some spaces in our condo. If i buy a MBP that iMac goes to her Mom, and the MBP will be her everyday computer. She uses computer to do some light PS for our photos and edit some short clips. Play the Sim 3 sometimes and of course browse a lot of Internet and Youtube that's all.

    Reason to buy Ipad:
    Well basically it's gonna be a bigger version of her iphone4 and a semi-laptop to kill times during commute or etc. Nothing heavy.

    I was also thinking about the new 13" air but not too sure how it will hold up for her everyday use to storage her songs, photos and other files.

    Thanks in advance!!
  2. stridemat Moderator


    Staff Member

    Apr 2, 2008
    I would go with the MBP as she will still be able to do what she needs to do on her computer. It's a fools game waiting for new tech. Your best bet is to purchase now and enjoy it.
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    iPad isn't a computer. It's a nice toy but can't really satisfy her needs as PS and stuff needs a computer.

    Is 13" MBP out of question? That's sufficient for her usage
  4. cheapncheerful thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2010
    Yeah.. true.

    Considered 13" at first. We both have Core 2 Duo base machine and very happy about them. Just thought why not upgrade to i5 and extra that I believe it will go a long way.iPad will just be her toy and she will still keep the iMac.

    I guess I should simplify my question to "If I should buy MBP now or wait for the next update and buy iPad as present for now?" :D
  5. cuda2 macrumors newbie

    Aug 24, 2009
    I would go with the MBP. Not just because last week I bought my i7 15" MBP, and its the most Bad___ computer I have ever used.... I just would not worry too much about the future upgrades. No one knows when it will be and what it will consist of. Most of the rumors on the future upgrade doesn't really sound like a big deal to me. Unless it includes BluRay, but even that isn't something everyone is waiting for (although there are some people who want it badly).
    Believe me, this MBP is so exceptional fantastic, I will not even cringe at next upgrade, because it does EVERYTHING I want it to do right now.

    Oh.. I do own a wifi iPad also. The iPad is maybe the coolest tech gadget I have ever owned, but it can not come close to replacing my MBP, or even my older iMac. It compliments them, but does not replace them.
  6. keaide macrumors regular

    Nov 13, 2010
    The iPad is definitely a cool gadget for consuming content and electronic communication. But already when it comes to everyday photo editing, then a MBP as a home base is much better... you might choose to enjoy your edited picture collection on your iPad then later on...
  7. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    ill be posting a thread later on - about my personal opinions on why we should buy the MBP current gen instead of waiting (for those who are confused)
    but to answer you question:
    buy both.
    because based on the question you asked.. i have the idea that you will buy both of them (one now, other after update, right)

    sure it is cool to see what apple has to offer, this and that and blah blah blah.. but think about it: even if you buy the MBP after the update (feb-april) you still will not get OSX Lion- it will be OSX Snow Leopard.. so either way if you have to upgrade to the latest OS you will have to wipe your HDD (im not sure how apple does it, PC's get the "upgrade option" or the "clean install")

    so you could buy the MBP now for your wife and buy the iPad for yourself and "share" it with you wife

    a re-install i the best scenario for any "OS upgrades" so why not just buy the current gen MBP and "upgrade it along the way"

    sure you will miss out on features such as light peak (and if apple will include that who knows) and the new sandy bridge processors, and who knows what else apple will throw in.. maybe they will take out the OD (doubt it) and increase battery life. they might even add a flash storage like the MBA...

    these are all speculations.. but we all know one thing is for sure- apple's SSD SUCK! literally.. they are not even top performance so why would you want a SSD (from Apple?)

    however, if you buy the MBP now.. you will loose out on features no doubt, maybe even suffer the extra battery life the new MBP brings.. but when OSX Lion comes out the prices for the SSD might drop and you can do a beautiful installation of the SSD and put OSX lion on it (the SSD most likely being top of the line?)
    sure you can do the same for the newer MBP (if they come out with SSD's) but you wouldn't think about spending money if it already came with the SSD...

    the rest is up to you.. that seems to be my plan anyways :p

    but if you want ot buy the iPad... here is some sad news for you.. rumors say they will update the iPad too :(.. so either way you will be stuck with an "older" model [unless u buy the MBA- but that might have too slow performance)

    so why not make it a party and live happily with old gen. products than wait for the newer ones.. technology is gonna keep changing and who knows maybe.. just maybe.. apple will have two releases in 2011 (not likely, but still very possible)

    good luck.. keep us posted!

    PS: i know this is a hard decision to make.. i myself am going through it.. im deciding whether or not i should buy hte iPad along with the MBP (my first apple devices!)
  8. Tanduà macrumors newbie

    Oct 31, 2010
    IPAD - UserFriendly - Good for any suitcase - Good Battery, weight..watchers.
  9. cheapncheerful thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks guys!! I think I made up my mind and I am going to get the 15" 2.4Ghz MBP tomorrow. Like some of you mentioned, I don't think it makes much sense to wait for upgrades and some of rumor of future upgrades I read aren't really a deal breaker.

    Plus her mom 1x years laptop not gonna hold up any longer and my wife talks to her mom mostly on skype. I guess this purchase will make 3 of us very happy. :D
  10. ctyhntr macrumors 6502


    Jul 21, 2010
    You can't do PS on the iPad. Get the MBP, you'll thank us later.

Share This Page