MBP 15 or low-end iMac & PC Notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AvengerZero, May 19, 2010.

1. AvengerZero macrumors newbie

Hey! This is my first post, greetings from Austria (not Australia ^^)

I've a hard decision to take, the title already shows my problem, should I buy a MBP 15 or an low end iMac & a PC Notebook.

I am an electrotechnical engineering student and we have a similar service like mac on campus that give us the possibility to buy cheap hardware from HP, Apple and Lenovo twice a year.

Apple gives an astonishing discount of about 16% on hardware and 27% on AppleCare. With these rebates a MBP 2010 with 2,4GHz Core i5 and HiRes display along witch AppleCare for about 3 years would cost ~ 1803€ with tax (2194$).

A Thinkpad X201 with similar specs in battery performance (about 9h) and CPU-power (Core i5 540m) with a service similar to AppleCare (3 years warranty) would cost 1000€ (1217$) with tax . A low end iMac with 21,5 inch display an one year warranty would cost about 980€ with tax (1193$).

You see, both setups would approximately cost the same, 1803€ vs. 1980€. If I subtract the retail prices from magic mouse and wireless keyboard we are at the same pricepoint.

Ahhhh, it's such a hard decision. One thing is clear, i would give Mac a try, whether if i take the first or second setup. I have allready an iPoud Touch 3G witch 32GB and love the quality and clearness of Apple.

As a technical engineering student i need a laptop with a great battery life (both of them) and enough CPU-horsepower for mathemetical simulations, programming, etc. (both of them). Gaming is no critical point as I own a PS3.

What would you do, take one thing for all (the MBP) or split it (iMac and Laptop)?

Happy greetings from Vienna, Austria, Patrick

2. Amasashi macrumors member

I would recommend a low-end iMac and low-end MacBook. It would probably run you the same, maybe a little bit more, but I'm willing to bet the the MacBook will out-shine the PC laptop. You also get the added benefit of your MacBook being a backup computer for you iMac (for vice-versa), which is something a PC laptop wouldn't be able to do.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I agree, go all Mac.

Yo don't need performance in a laptop as a student (I don't ;) ) and a separate desktop computer is really nice to have.

4. EasyJW macrumors member