Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Figure I will get mostly Mac responses here but what the heck, long time lurker here and I think peeps here have good opinions.

Debating between the MBP 15' at 1799.00
2.4 i5

or this sammy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+-+Red/Black/9748386.p?id=1218166152252&skuId=9748386

also an i5
blu ray
500 gig hard drive

its just a pain in the butt, I prefer macs but those specs are pretty damn impressive for the price. Reviews seem okay around the net. Battery life stinks though.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Basically up to you; you certainly won't get any unbiased opinions here. Boilds down to you, do you think OS X, extra battery life and build quality are worth the extra ~$1000? If so than go for the MBP; if not hop on over to best buy.

EDIT: Having looked at the laptop linked; the spec's aren't impressive, even for the price I'd say (1366 x 768? the standard 1440x900 on the MBP is bad enough).

BeestieHalls

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Honestly if you aren't obsessed with Apple or anything I'd go for that. It looks pretty sweet. If I were to go for a PC itd be a Dell or a Samsung probably, not an HP or other brands of less quality. Apple is pretty over priced, and as time goes on it just becomes more and more obvious.

You should budget for an extra battery down the road, that's the biggest sacrifice you'd be making in my opinion.

I think it'd be a tougher choice if you were leaning towards the 13 inch MBP, but if you're wanting a 15", go with that one.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks 4 the replies guys. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious with the sammy. Resolution does kind of suck. I'll stew if over a few days, or maybe just wait till the Holidays for those crazy deals. I got a white macbook since that, entry level MBP's and the IMACS are really the only thing I see Apple selling that isnt mad over-priced (computer wise) Thats my main little guy to carry around but I do want a 2nd lappie with some more horsepower.

I obviously really like the 17' MBP but I can never justify 2K personally. I wish I was that rich LOL. 1799 is hard enough on the wallet, right on the edge of my price range.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
yea sure that's a nice laptop for a good price (no surprise when it comes to pc's) but this is my 1st ever mac from a pc (specs in my signature) and i gotta say, the looks of the mbps are unbeatable, and their specs are already GOOD. so its a trade off. do you want a laptop for cheaper with the same specs but big/thick/heavy/doofy looking?

go with the mbp, the looks is the icing on the cake. the apple logo glows so vibrant in the dark, keyboard shines like a tray of diamonds. and the sleekness and solid build is just amazing....it cannot be fathomed. plus it turns heads if thats a plus.

mbp ftw :apple:

Tali

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
It kind of depends on what you are planing on doing with it.
The Samsungs batterylife isn't any good and the resolution is very outdated. But if you intend on playing games on it (even just WoW) the resolution will not strain the crappy GPU.
If you are only after some portabilty (from outlet to outlet) and no real performance, it might suit you well. I'd still check Dell and see what they offer.

The MBP will outperform the Sammy in every way (it does so in price too). If you need the performance, the Sammy won't please you, but you can get better deals than the MBP if you shop around.

I'd always pick the MBP (use it for work) as I love the speed and the OS.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks 4 the last two replies guys. I decided to wait it out a bit. I'll just save up and wait since honestly my white macbook does pretty much everything I need. It's a little beast. I checked out the Sammy at best buy and the trackpad (which I would use) was awful. Screen was lacking as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.