MBP 15" Refurb Unibody or Current model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mossme89, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy a MBP very soon, but am still stuck between 2 refurb models.

The Models are the 2008 Unibody 2.4GHz pro for $1299 and the 2.66 GHz for $1599. I chose these models because they are the cheapest MBP's that have the 9600M GT for gaming.

The deciding factor for me is the battery life. I know the current MBP's have an awesome battery life, but is it worth an extra $300? I will likely be using the computer mostly at home for 2-3 hours, and rarely traveling. If i do travel, even with the 7-hour MBP, i can see myself being OCD and still bringing a charger just in case. I just want to get the best value, but i really can't see myself benefiting from the extra battery life.

Is the 2.4GHz battery still good? Regardless, with gaming or video editing, i can see myself plugging in, but how much life do you get for light usage such as web surfing or word processing?

I'm sorry i keep asking you guys questions, but i feel like i am closer than ever to pulling the trigger

2. timecarter macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem.

I on the other hand to travel constantly and often take five hour flights across the country... But is it worth the 300$. I even hear that the old Uni's are faster.

Is that true?

3. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

hmm...as per my experience..the removable batteries suck big time...my MBP's battery has done 180 cycles and can retain only 50% of the charge today...and this took only about 18 months!!! but as my sig suggests..i m talking abt a late 2007 model...pre-unibody..

4. rhcpfan0 macrumors newbie

Personally I would opt for the 2.4Ghz model and get a HyperMac external battery. You can check them out here.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

rhcpfan is right... just get external battery or play it with the mains for the majority of the time the 2.4 will be fine the $300 is a waste [​IMG]

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Buy the model with the longer battery life if you travel frequently, or even semi-frequently. If you don't leave home with your laptop, then get the cheaper model.

Done.