MBP 15": refurb vs waiting for B2S and 2ghz vs 2.2ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZeroCoolZ, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ZeroCoolZ, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

ZeroCoolZ macrumors newbie

I've decided to buy my first MBP to try the "Mac experience". I'm going to Cambridge in October to do my master degree so it will be my only computer and probably my only computer when I get back too (albeit with an external display/keyboard/mouse). I don't really have the time to play games, do some photo editing but not really anything else that requires a lot of CPU power. However, I consider myself a "poweruser". I used to study in computer science and want my computer to be as fast as it can be, even if it's only to surf the web, watch some HD movies, etc. Finally, I want to keep this computer for at least 3 or 4 years (my Dell laptop is 5 years old and still works very well, same with my desktop which is even older... but I paid the high price at that time).

I want the 15" with high res antiglare screen. I was waiting for the B2S to get the free ipod touch, but I'm tired of waiting and the configuration I want is available since this morning on the Refurb store (in Canada).

I can get the 2011/15"/2Ghz/4Go/500Go(5400)/antiglare for 1699$. The same configuration costs 1884$ with the education discount. Considering that I already have an ipod touch, I would sell the free one (if there is a B2S promotion this year) and would end up paying more or less the same price. What do you think? Is it worth the wait and the hassle of selling the ipod on ebay to get a brand new vs a refurb?

Also, there is another config available on the refurb store which is interesting: 2011/15"/2.2Ghz/4Go/4go/500go(7200)/antiglare/better GPU for 2039. Is the 2.2Ghz worth 340$ considering that I won't do that much CPU intensive tasks, won't play games but want my computer to be good for a few years?

I was thinking of maybe getting the 2Ghz one and upgrading to 8GO ram and Momentous XT with the money instead.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would buy now if you need it now. You will be waiting a good 45+ days for B2S.

Also I would go with 2.0ghz unless you do editing of any digital media. I got my machine listed in my sig refurb and i love it, no issues so far. I would get a 2011 refurb and not a 2010 though.

3. ZeroCoolZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input. I forgot to mention it but both refurb config are 2011

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you get refurb you can get more for your $, I saved $280 and then applied that $ to an SSD and 1600mhz RAM.

5. ZeroCoolZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I ask you which brand/model of ram you got?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 HyperX Plug n Play Laptop Memory Model KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104257

As long as the Kingston model doesnt end in "X", example 8GX then it will work at 1600mhz. The "X" stands for XMP profiles which MAC cannot utilize.

7. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I just recently bought the 2.2 and I'm really enjoying it. I would have been satisfied with the 2.0, but I do occasionally game and that GPU in the 2.0 kinda bites imho. I also went with the 2.2 because of the larger standard 750HD as I have a lot of media (photos, movies, music, photoshop work,etc) and want a windows partition.

If you know for sure that you are not going to do much CPU intensive work and not going to game for the next 3-4 years then 2.0 is probably all you need.

8. gmans46 macrumors regular

what do you mean 45 days for bts?

9. ZeroCoolZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, I pulled the trigger on the refurb 2Ghz and it was shipped minutes ago. Can't wait :D

10. ZeroCoolZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I got my MBP today. I got 8GB instead of 4GB, there is absolutely no scratch or any indication it has been used and the battery cycle count is at 2 so it's pretty much brand new and I ended up saving 520$CDN for a 2011 model. :)

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Refurbs are definitely a great deal. You get a new computer (most refurbs are probably returns from stores that customers either didn't want or had a small issue with) for a lot less money, and you occasionally get little bonuses like the RAM.

12. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

And before you leave Cambridge, sell the laptop. Because of the exchange rate, you should make some money and not have to carry it home. Bring a small external harddrive to back things up. Have a great trip!

13. marc11 macrumors 68000

What exchang rate? The CDN is basically equal to the USD...