Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
After a month and a half I decided to take a 15" inch rMBP. My friend is coming back from the states in the end of December/Start of January and she is going to bring me MPB to me. I have a few questions:
1. Is there a big difference between the two refurb and new? I mean does the refurb has scars on it or dents?
2. Because I live in Europe my power is 220V and I have heard that it might burn because of the more power coming in. Is it possible? I have an adapter from American standard to Bulgarian one.
3. Because I know that in October there might be new MPB i wonder if there will be a price drop of the early 2013 model. I mean something like with the iPhones - New model last one with 100$ discount. Is that happening to the macbooks? Sorry I am new.
4. Is there a way not to pay taxes? :D My friend lives in Myrtle Beach.
5. Are there going to be problems wit the sync with WP8?
Thanks to all of that will answer my stupid questions. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.
Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
  • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
  • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
  • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
  • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
  • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
  • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
  • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
  • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
  • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
  • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Beware - the US version will have a different keyboard which may be dissimilar to the one you have currently. Also you may need to end up buying a new MacBook Power Brick - see if your adapter works first.

But by the time you've paid any import/sales tax, you may as well have just bought it in your home country - I looked at this when I went to New York and found it would actually cost me more there than if I'd bought it at home.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
If you go with a US system, one way to avoid paying taxes is if your friend purchases from AppleInsider, an authorized reseller.

The good thing about these guys is their prices may be better than Apple.com - currently, a 2.7 rMBP is about $700USD less than on Apple.com.

Since your friend is based in Florida, they will not have to pay sales tax as AppleInsider only charges tax on purchases made from certain states.

That's enough leftover cash to buy a new power brick. :D

Also, when your friend takes it to Bulgaria, ask her to carry it in her carry on so she does not have to check in the luggage. If they ask her about it, just say it's for personal use. It's just one so it should not be a problem.

I do this often enough to Africa.

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
If you go with a US system, one way to avoid paying taxes is if your friend purchases from AppleInsider, an authorized reseller.

The good thing about these guys is their prices may be better than Apple.com - currently, a 2.7 rMBP is about $700USD less than on Apple.com.

Since your friend is based in Florida, they will not have to pay sales tax as AppleInsider only charges tax on purchases made from certain states.

That's enough leftover cash to buy a new power brick. :D

Also, when your friend takes it to Bulgaria, ask her to carry it in her carry on so she does not have to check in the luggage. If they ask her about it, just say it's for personal use. It's just one so it should not be a problem.

I do this often enough to Africa.

Well thanks. First she is in Myrtle Beach which I think is in South Carolina. I don't know if there are taxes. But since yesterday one thought is on my mind - the new iMac. I mean I know is not the same as the macbook but it's still really good. Do you think there will be any problems for her to deliver it to Bulgaria?

Now back to te original question. Is there any big difference between refurb and new except for the box? I mean scratches or something. Has anyone bought one?

And is there a big difference between retina 15 from oct. 25 and February 13th except the 100 Mhz?

Thanks again for the answers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.