MBP 15" Retina - who's using for Graphic Design and Audio?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndyDiamond, Dec 1, 2012.

1. AndyDiamond macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

Anyone here using MBPr 15" for serious graphics work?

That is page layout in ID, Quark, vector graphic work in Illustrator, extensive image retouching/creation in Photoshop etc?
    Utilities such as Suitcase?

Also pro audio production with ProTools and Logic.

I have just relocated to another country and sold my MacPro 2.8 Octo/14GB RAM/240SSD/Radeon 7550/dual monitor set up and have purchased a 15" MBPr 2.7/16GB/768 to replace it as I need to be more portable.

I'd like to know how other graphics and audio professionals are finding MBPr.

Cheers.

2. hawon macrumors member

I have rMBP with 16gb and 256gb. I use pro tools every day and even done 5.1 mix with this.

3. MBrandonLee Suspended

It's great with pro tools. I would recommend an external usb3.0 / thunderbolt drive as usual, especially with SSD as that's not good for the SSD to do audio because of all the write/rewrites.

I do wish I had more ports, but I think it's just the ridiculous backlog of thunderbolt interfaces, hubs and buses that have yet to come out.

4. Update, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

Update macrumors newbie

Moved... My analysis is best suited elsewhere as it doesn't answer the OP's question.

5. AndyDiamond thread starter macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

Thanks for the replies.

I have an external USB3 drive for all my work which gets backed up via TimeMachine to a separate USB drive (the MBPr SSD will also be backed up to this drive).

I agree the lack of hubs that reliably support USB3 is a bit frustrating - I like to use an external full size Apple keyboard which takes up one USB port. That leaves only one USB port for the external drive so I have to switch out the keyboard to run the backups. This isn't ideal as I prefer to have backups running in the background. I also have an iLok (that can be connected to a port on the external keyboard of course) and a dongle for Reason if I want to use it.
    Not to mention a USB audio interface - I sold off my FireWire 003.
    I guess a Thunderbolt drive will need to be added to free up a USB port but ideally a USB 3 would be good.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

My wife uses a trend net USB 3 hub without any problem on her rmbp.