Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Has anyone noted that the 2018 15” MBP has an extremely fragile screen? My daughter’s 2 month old MBP suffered a screen crack for no apparent reason. It has a hard shell case and was transported in a padded backpack. Absolutely no sign of external damage. She arrived at at class, opened the computer and found a cracked screen. The exact same thing happened to a her friend (same model). Brought to Genius Bar for repair and was told they had “never” had a 2018 MBP in for screen repair (a lie; my daughter’s friend had her’s in a month ago). I’m wondering if there is a glass defect or design flaw. Any thoughts?

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Actually nothing. The computer was in the well-padded laptop sleeeve and there was nothing in the main compartment.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Do you happen to have a picture of the display, by no means are we / I able to fully diagnose it, but we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: DeanPSN

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
The screen is not "extremely fragile", sure there is an explanation for the crack.
Like the user above me suggested, post some pictures and we would be able to say what could've happened.

Reactions: chabig

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
The screen is not "extremely fragile", sure there is an explanation for the crack.
Like the user above me suggested, post some pictures and we would be able to say what could've happened.
[doublepost=1539031031][/doublepost]
Cracked Screen Photo.jpg

[doublepost=1539031182][/doublepost]I just posted a photo of the screen crack in the lower left corner. The surface of the screen feels smooth, like the crack came from the back of the glass. There is no damage to the metal casing. There is a silicon keyboard cover in place.

ibtj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
graz, austria
i had a similar thing happen to me. the screens ARE indeed extremly fragile, you just have to look at them funny and they break.

in regards to the picture: it looks like the display has been closed with something (usb-c-cable, pen?) between the topcase and the screen.

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
There was nothing between the top case and screen. The computer was just closed, then slid into the backpack without cables or accessories. I and my children have owned 15 Apple laptop computers before this one, and have never experienced a screen failure. Hard for me to figure out why this happened.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
There was nothing between the top case and screen. The computer was just closed, then slid into the backpack without cables or accessories. I and my children have owned 15 Apple laptop computers before this one, and have never experienced a screen failure. Hard for me to figure out why this happened.

Any chance the silicon keyboard cover could have bunched up a little and got pinched? There is pretty much zero tolerance in the current design for anything to be too high.

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Any chance the silicon keyboard cover could have bunched up a little and got pinched? There is pretty much zero tolerance in the current design for anything to be too high.
[doublepost=1539039674][/doublepost]The keyboard cover remained in place. I specifically asked about the cover when at the Genius Bar and was told that it could not have caused the screen breakage.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
[doublepost=1539039674][/doublepost]The keyboard cover remained in place. I specifically asked about the cover when at the Genius Bar and was told that it could not have caused the screen breakage.

Sounds good. Nothing would surprise me though. They even told me not use those microfiber clothes to put over the keys when they saw mine. But I still do :)

kpollack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
I purchased the Apple Care Plus plan and it covers two instances of physical damage with a $99 deductible. It’s not paying the $99 that bothers me, but that the device was used exactly the way a laptop is intended to be used for only two months, and there is no clear explanation why this happened and therefore no way to prevent it from happening again.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
The 2018 Macbook has the same screen structurally as the 2017 and 2016, so I don't think it has anything to do with being a 2018 model.

It's unlikely (not impossible if defective) the screen would just break on its own with my no outside pressure or some type of psychical force.

At least it's good that you have AppleCare and it's only $99, would be crazy expensive otherwise.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I recommend that you ignore the "it's your fault gang" and search the forum as there have been others that have exactly the same issue, with all the display's cracked in the same area, again for no apparent reason.

Some members have had the display replaced for free, after a struggle. It's postulated that the issue is due to the extreme tolerances of the MBP and the top case alignment. IMHO the display is less robust than pervious iterations, what tends to join the dots is that they all tend to crack in the same area close to the hinge.

Your lucky that you took out AppleCare + those where the extended cover is not possible are generally going to be stuck with a hefty repair bill. I don't see it as a very common issue, equally more prevalent than with the older designs...

Q-6

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I purchased the Apple Care Plus plan and it covers two instances of physical damage with a $99 deductible. It’s not paying the $99 that bothers me, but that the device was used exactly the way a laptop is intended to be used for only two months, and there is no clear explanation why this happened and therefore no way to prevent it from happening again.
DO NOT PAY the $99 accidental damage fee (assuming your daughter is telling the truth).

The 2016 and up rMBPs have, IMHO ridiculously fragile screens. My previous MBP (2016 13") developed keyboard shaped marks on parts of the screen overtime just from being carried in my padded laptop backpack (inside a padded laptop case at that). My new 2018 13" rMBP develops similar dust marks just from having the lid briefly closed (thankfully they can still be wiped away at this stage but not a great sign).

Document the issue, be honest, and if they won't replace it for free escalate to a manager, and if that doesn't work, get on the phone with AppleCare until you can get this satisfactorily resolved.

While they're great machines overall, no user should have to pay for damage that occurs due to regular use (especially within the first year), that's what warranties are for.

Reactions: SDColorado

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
The 2016 and up rMBPs have, IMHO ridiculously fragile screens. My previous MBP (2016 13") developed keyboard shaped marks on parts of the screen overtime just from being carried in my padded laptop backpack (inside a padded laptop case at that).

That is not a scratch. It is "staingate", a protective film gets pilled off (but usually it's dirt that can be wiped off). All retina mbps have this issue. You generally don't even see anything when it's ON after wiping with a microfibre cloth. And Apple can replace the screen if it's out of warranty for up to around 4 years.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
That is not a scratch. It is "staingate", a protective film gets pilled off (but usually it's dirt that can be wiped off). All retina mbps have this issue. You generally don't even see anything when it's ON after wiping with a microfibre cloth. And Apple can replace the screen if it's out of warranty for up to around 4 years.
Thanks for the info, it's really good to know (especially the out of warranty repair part). While I agree that's it's relatively unnoticeable when the machine is on, and that, at least initially, the marks can generally be wiped off, it's still off-putting and not something I feel should be happening on machines in this price bracket.

Anyway, more than anything I just wanted to emphasize that the OP and really anyone having issues, serious or just quality of life, that are not the result of what one could reasonably call user damage, should not agree to a paid repair just because that's the first thing a Genius Bar/AppleCare Support employee suggests. These aren't bargain basement specials, they're premium laptops and the level of service expected (and offered) should reflect that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Thinner = more fragile.

They've made them so thin, that any "flexing" of the lid runs the risk of damaging the display.

I'm thinking that even "over-pressure" when opening/closing the lid has the potential of instigating a "screen crack".

OP -- if you have AppleCare+, I'd pay the $199 and be happy that it's "only that much".
Without AC+, the damage to your pocketbook would have been much more.

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.