MBP 15" slow shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itegypt, Sep 26, 2014.

1. itegypt, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Running the latest updates and patches....my rmbp takes about 30 seconds to shutdown how can I diagnose for what is causing that?

Thanks

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Doesn't sound unusually long to me to be honest.

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Since OP has a SSD, than yes its long. My SSD gets me about 3 seconds to shut down. Have you done a PRAM yet ? Of course I have Yosemite not Mavericks. Mavericks on a Hdd is about 20 seconds for a shut down.

4. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

I feel it's slower after the 10.9.5 update?
    I just did the PRAM no difference....when I shutdown it goes to the solid grey screen for 7 seconds, the black spinning wheel shows up for about 20 more seconds and then it shutdown.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

The app store sandboxing features in Mavericks are what is causing the slow shutdown. Nothing you can do about it (other than get a cup of coffee while it shuts down).

Shutdown in the Yosemite beta is much quicker, so it seems this will be fixed when Yosemite goes live.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Surely it depends on what was running, here may be tidyup processing that doesnt gate on disk speed, for instance if you are mid TM backup it will need to stop that backup before shutting down. Aperture will need to close its library etc. My boot drive is an SSD, data on HDD so possibly more HDD-esque in that regard.

7. haafling macrumors member

Same for me and from day one.

Boot is ultra fast (between 5 and 7 seconds) but it takes more seconds to shutdown. Don't think it's an issue.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Mavericks on SSD for me boots up in 5 seconds and shuts down anywhere from 20-40 seconds.

9. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt