MBP 15" specs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owlbabu, Jul 18, 2010.

1. owlbabu macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I've decided I'm going for the 2.53 ghz i5 (only $60 more expensive than 2.4 i5 with student discount). I'm not a heavy graphic designer or anything so I don't think the extra $150 warrants an upgrade to the i7. Also, I'm not going for high resolution because honestly, I know I can get used to the smaller text, that's not that big of a deal. But I know I don't need it and it can cause eye strain if I'm typing long papers for a long time. The 1440 X 900 is fine, I feel. I also have an external monitor so if I need more space, I should be ok with that.

Specs:

15" MBP
    2.53 ghz i5
    500 gb @ 7200 rpm
    4 gb ram

I also plan on getting and installing an SSD (probably an Intel) by the end of the year, hopefully there will be sales or the prices will have gone down a little.

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please post your thoughts. Will I be ok with this configuration?

I do programming, write lots of papers, surf the internet, watch lots of HD movies, play some occasional games, would like to learn photoshop, dreamweaver, and illustrator maybe. That's about it.

Thanks guys.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That seems to be fine for you. I would really get the hi res screen as it offers more screen estate which is very nice for things like Photoshop and lets you have multiple windows open, side by side.

Last time I checked, Intel is releasing new 28nm SSDs in Q4 this year and they will likely be cheaper and offer bigger capacities

3. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

That'd be awesome, I'm jealous of everyone here with the ssds here and was hoping by the end of the year the price would move.

4. elleana macrumors regular

Although the proc speed bump is 'only' $60, you will for all intents and purposes be unable to tell the real world difference. Unless you do large volume encoding and the like.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yep, I wouldn't pay $60 extra for 130mhz more, you won't notice it, it's not worth it, that's why it's only $60 more. It's just another way for Apple to squeeze a few more $$$ out of the customer by playing with their head. The Hi-Res screen for the 15" is 1680X1050 vs. 1440X900 on the standard screen. You're not going to get very small text on the 16X10 screen, but what you will get is more screen real estate and that's worth paying for. :)

6. owlbabu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, great responses. Please keep them coming. I'm getting the impression that the hi res screen is actually worth the $100 ?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

1440 x 900 is a great resolution, but for the 100 dollars, the hi res display is definitely worth it.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would absolutely get a hi res upgrade for the 15" MBP. I always wished my older 15" MBP offered that resolution.

9. owlbabu thread starter macrumors member

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It really depends on your needs and taste, go to an apple store and check both of them, then decide...

11. demonsavatar macrumors regular

The $60 upgrade calculation is only valid if you agree the 320GB -> 500GB upgrade is really worth $90, which of course it is NOT.

A 500GB 5400RPM hard drive costs ~$60, and a 320GB 5400RPM hard drive costs $50. Really this upgrade is only worth $10!!

I would instead stick with 2.4Ghz, and spend the leftover $150 and get a 500GB 7200RPM drive for $100. Save $50, and more than makeup for the 133Mhz you lost with a speedier hard drive. Not to mention you will have a spare 320GB hard drive now as well.

If you don't need much space, put the money towards an SSD instead and really see a speed boost! 80GB Intel SSD ~$200 or used for ~$150 usually off eBay.

EDIT: I would agree that $60 isnt worth the 133Mhz CPU upgrade anyway.

EDIT2: BTW, HI RES is amazing. You should definitely get it unless your eyes really suck and you don't want to deal with smaller fonts. The question is really do you want Hi-res glossy or Hi-res anti-glare - for this you must go to the Apple store and choose for yourself.

EDIT3: I'm on a roll. Just as a point of comparison, I ordered the base 2.4Ghz with Hi-res Antiglare (will arrive Tuesday). Then I also bought an Intel 80GB SSD. My combination will be much more responsive than your 2.53Ghz with 500GB 5400RPM hard drive in daily tasks due to the SSD. I spent $130 on lightly used SSD from eBay (got a good deal, usually $150-170).

12. elleana macrumors regular

I'm going to come out on a limb here and say that you really should take a look at the high res screen before deciding. I decided that the pixel pitch for the hires screen was too small so I went with the regular 1440x900 screen for mine. But then I like everything to be nice and big so...

13. ceshimm macrumors member

I agree. 2.4G-2.53G is not worth $60, and HI RES is a must have unless your really really can not get over the smaller text which you may get the answer in APPLE STORE. if 320G 5400r storage is ok for you, i guess you might want to go with a baseline 15 inch model and save all those "little extra" to grab a SSD at the end of the year. even $60 will lead you there eariler. I am going to order my first MBP 15 soon. because this will be my only laptop, and i will play some games, i guess i7+512 graphic ram will help a little, i know just a little. :D

14. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Can we start calling it a $140 upgrade since I pointed out that the price different between the 320GB and 500GB is only $10 in retail stores? (look at my previous post in this thread). Or at least a $90 upgrade since buying a 500GB would cost $60. The $60 upgrade price is wrong regardless...

Way to take your own advice :p 512 VRAM may help a bit more, still not even close to worth it IMO. I have a windows desktop as my main computer for heavy tasks (i.e. gaming). I've given up on trying to find a single computer that can do everything. Portability/battery life and good performance just don't go hand in hand - not with my demands for high performance anyway, so 2 computers is my solution - high power desktop, and medium power/good battery life laptop.

15. ceshimm macrumors member

i guess we are talking about everything the same except the CPU. you can always find component with cheaper price in the market for sure, and do some replacement/DIY, at least from apple's point of view it is $60 for CPU upgrade. are you happy?

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+1, I decided after a side by side comparison, and hi-res was too small for me.

17. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Yeah your right, from apple's point of view it is a $60 upgrade and the hard drive is worth $90 upgrade. Since I am the one spending the $$$ though I choose to look at it from my point of view, from which it is a $140 upgrade :p

Just making sure op isn't taking Apple's word for what the upgrade is worth and that he/she knows what they are paying for (not just what Apple wants you to think its worth)...

18. owlbabu thread starter macrumors member

Good points. I have checked them both out. Hi res seemed small, but I think I could get used to it. But honestly, I'm not sure if I want to spend $90 more if I'm fine with 1440X900. Also, if I use my external monitor, I think I'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 2.53 though.
    I will hopefully get an SSD soon too.

If there are any other opinions, please share.

Thanks.