MBP 15" - SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guklein, Nov 19, 2014.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP 15" Retina Display. Is it possible to upgrade the SSD? It has 256GB and I would like to upgrade to 512GB or 1TB.

What SSD model do you suggest?

Thank you!

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Which model exactly do you have?

There's not much aftermarket SSD available for rMBP - http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash

the above is only for 2012 to Early 2013 MBP models.

If you have newer models, you need to get stock SSD as it won't support aftermarket SSDs at this point.

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

And then the late 2013 and 2014 models use PCIe flash storage. Not really available except on eBay. Cost is about $400 for 512 and $600 for 1TB. The only challenge is this will void your warranty.

If you want a larger SSD and have your warranty intact, I would recommend selling your existing machine and buying a new one.

4. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. scooterdog macrumors newbie

I hopped onto an online chat session with OWC about this very topic, not seeing any upgrade option for the 11,1 model (the one I have is from mid 2014).

They told me they are 'working on it' but that could not give an estimate on when it would be available.

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

This is something I'd try after the 3-years of AppleCare. In the meantime, a Transcend JetDrive Lite is a good option, although its current maximum size is 128GB. Hopefully they'll launch bigger and faster SD cards next year.