MBP 15": Still having freezes with 4gb RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miguelito, Feb 1, 2009.

1. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

Just out of curiosity... I see that the Apple Store now sells the mbp 15 with 4gb of ram by default. I also read that people were having freezes when upgrading to 4gb. Is the issue resolved then?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The nVidia chipset is rather picky with RAM timings unlike the Intel ones. If you want to save some money you could get a lower specced machine and get your RAM from Crucial or OWC.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a single problem with my RAM. Only the new 15" 2.53GHz MBP comes with 4GB RAM, and you can't buy that model with less RAM. The 2.4GHz comes with 2GB, smaller HD, less VRAM, etc.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Two of the top three MBP models are offered with 4GB of RAM. Apple does offer upgrades of memory and hard drives in store and online. If you take a minute and read this and the Apple Discussion section you will see that the issue has not been resolved. Apple has not even publicly acknowledged the problem.

5. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

It's been default ever since they released the new ALU MBP for the higher end 15"..

7. Yeoman macrumors newbie

I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB on my early 2008 MBP with the cheapest RAM Newegg offered and have never had a problem.

8. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

No problems here. Upgraded shortly after purchasing the machine when they were released.

9. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

would be cool if Apple added the upgrade to 8gb ram and 256gb SSD option for 15" :D

10. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

miguelito

I'm just very surprised that, if 4gb is causing recurrent freezes, they are offering as a default config. This is why I'm asking.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The RAM that Apple provides falls under the temperamental timings of the nVidia controller? Considering Apple knows the specifications...

The problem only shows up when the RAM and memory controller don't get along and even then it can be hit and miss.

12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I think it's like 1 in 100,000 or so that the Apple 4gb stock ram causes troubles. I haven't heard of many cases and I for one have no trouble. You browse the forums too much and it'll seem like everyone has issues. Stop worrying. If it does give you trouble when you buy it, just ask for another one...

13. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

miguelito

How about the diff b/w 8600 and 9600 nvidia chips? Have the 9600 had any problems?

Thx.