MBP 15 TB Trackpad defective [and reasons for returning]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ubercool, Nov 24, 2016.

1. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have not seen anyone post this anomaly, but I have a new 15 Touch Bar that has a weird problem. I get right click popups no matter where I click on the trackpad. I have tried everything to figure out why it's happening, including turning off Lookup & Data Detectors and Force Click.

No only that but the trackpad is very unreliable when it comes to dragging, so this MBP is basically unusable without a mouse. I guess I will take it in tomorrow and see if I can get it swapped. :(

2. ejl371 macrumors newbie

I strongly suspect part of your palm is touching the track pad. happens to me as well. It is interpreting it as two fingers touching.

3. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

No there's another long thread ("Accidental Secondary Clicking") that verifies that what I have is not unique. Also, as that thread mentions, the trackpad often refuses to register a click, which requires repetitive clicking to make it work.

I have decided to return my MBP tomorrow and get a refund. Here are my reasons (keep in mind I'm on my second RMBP and have owned about a half dozen MacBooks in the past eight years):

1. For $3,500 I believe everyone deserves a better quality experience than having to deal with half-baked trackpads.

2. I did not like the brownish tint of the new LCD display. I know that over time an LCD will lose that brownish tint as it slowly "blanches" over time. My current MBP has also gone blue, so the difference with the new MBP TB is major, but I guess I expected more from this supposedly superior bright screen with "gorgeous colors."

3. Battery life was disappointing. I think real life will be about 4.5 to 5 hours. I lost 8% just opening the unit and registering it.

4. The Touch Bar is cool, but most of the time it's not really visible when you're working so you need to constantly get it to come on and then do two swipes to get it to turn up the brightness of either the display or the Touch Bar. And when you turn up the display on high it washes out the Touch Bar, even when it's on bright. Dedicated buttons are much faster.

5. I'm greatly offended when a computer costs more but delivers less. Nothing grates me more than having to spend an extra $20 to buy an extension cord for the power brick. Apple, you're really messing with your customers here.

6. Font rendering is weird. When I had the identical document open in Omni Outliner on both my MacBook Pros my 2014 displayed the document fine at 100%, but the new MBP TB requires that I raise the magnification to 110%. Also, all system fonts in the finder appear to be bold face yet they're fuzzy in resolution. I also thought that was odd. Font rendering should be identical considering that no change was made in resolution.

YMMV but I just thought I would put it out there for those of you considering this unit. The truly discerning could be disappointed by this latest generation of MacBook Pros, I certainly am. :(

4. augenleet, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

augenleet macrumors member

The new MBPs use a scaling resolution by default instead of the one that's "best for retina", so that's probably what you're observing.

5. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Disagree with most of your points but I loooooove Omni Outliner!

6. ccglows macrumors member

Also, turn off 'LCD font smoothing' in general system prefs