MBP 15 Ultimate - both ext. ACD 27 and LaCie ThunderBolt SSD connected?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CHSeifert, Mar 24, 2011.

1. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Hey :)

The MBP 15 has only one Thunderbolt connection port - but I need two if I would like to connect both my Apple Cinema Display 27 screen and an upcoming LaCie External SSD Thunderbolt drive - what to do :)

Buy a split port or what :confused:

Thanks for helping me MacFolks :apple:

2. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

They will daisy-chain. Connect the MBP to storage device and from there to the ACD.

3. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Thanks for your answer :)

Do I need a special connector to daisy-chain the Thunderbolt connection port - sorry I'm new to Mac :eek:

4. Blackforge macrumors 6502

No it just uses the same plug, you can see the back of it here:
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11623

5. Gordy macrumors 6502a

The back of the hard drive has two thunderbolt ports. You put the display in one and the other is to go to the computer.

Firewire Drives use the same principle.

6. kcdude macrumors regular

So for my envisioned setup:

MBP on the desktop running in clamshell, TB wire to external drive.
    External sitting in a cabinet out of the way, TB wire to ACD
    ACD sitting on desktop by MBP.

Maybe this is not a practical example given the file size but here goes...Now I take out my fancy new Canon 5DIII with TB port (I know ;)) and want to download the files....oh bummer it does not have a second output TB port to put in my daisy chain. So what are my options?

1) Download the files via USB 2.0 plugged to the back of the ACD or MBP? Oh but I want that big time transfer speed.
    2) Open the MBP, disconnect the TB cable, connect camera to the TB port, download the files to desktop (later to be transferred to External because now it is unplugged), unhook camera and then re-connect the daisy chain back to the MBP and then close the lid?
    3) other options?

If I had a iMac 27 with 2 TB ports then problem solved...one daisy chained to the external/second monitor and the other TB port open for desktop workflow stuff....if I could only fit a iMac 27 in my desk hutch....still looking for practical workflow solutions and don't see how a future ACD can run multiple TB ports when it is at the end of the chain....isn't that why it is at the end of the chain?