MBP 15" vs 17" - money no issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyguy4u, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nyguy4u macrumors member

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and I have a feeling I'll like it here!

I have always owned a PC, I decided now that I am making the switch to a Mac, because I've just grown to hate anything that involves Microsoft.

Come December, I am purchasing a MBP. I was going to be getting the 17", because it was the top of line. However I see that a 15" has come out. I have been searching this forum to get some ideas what the major difference is between the two (other than size), and people are saying for the money, the 15" will do. Quite frankly, I don't care about the money. If the 17" is just a little bit better, for more money - I'd like to know.

I currently have a Dell XPS that I've had for some time now, and it's a 17" - so I think it would be difficult for me to drop down to a 15"

Basically, my question is.. if money was no object, would you get a 15" or a 17". Size and weight of the laptop isn't an issue for me. I basically want a powerfull laptop. What other difference other then size is there between the two? I also don't want an outdated laptop either, so are there any upcoming changes to the 17" lineup?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wait for Apple to update the 17" MBP. I've heard that will happen in the next few months. No need to pay full price for yesterday's technology, the main issue being the GPUs in the new MBPs and probably a processor speed boost.

3. MikeBrWade macrumors member

Money wasn't an issue for my either however i went with the 15 for portability, availability, and battery life.

Even if they squeeze a slightly better CPU in the 17" when it finally comes out (which I doubt) they won't put anymore ram or a different GPU in it unless it is 6 months away. So you are left with a slightly smaller screen, I have a 17" laptop btw and it is huge; less weight and a better battery. Granted the battery life won't be a HUGE difference but the wieght and portability are a big factor for me. When I am doing development I will have it hooked up to a 22" and a 26" external anyway so really it is just the easy of using it on the go.

Not to mention the BIG plus, the 15.4 is out NOW. And I am in the market now, not in 4-6 months.

JM2C

4. wesd macrumors newbie

17 all the way

I carry a Dell 17" laptop every day to the office and back without so much of a problem, so a new MBP 17 that is 2 lbs less won't be an issue either.

The 17 has the best combination of mobility and utility. The 17" screen is largely sufficient to do ANYTHING that you will need to do, especially with the hi-res display. The computer is light enough too that it's easy to transport and carry around. The specs on it are good too, so what if it doesn't have the latest and greatest graphics card, in my Dell I bought with the 6800 when that was the bomb, and I have never played a game that used it to the max. Even the x3100 integrated card is sufficient for 90% of games on the market today.

The only reason to buy a 15" is for the money savings, which is not a concern for you. I wouldn't hesitate, just buy it.

5. nyguy4u thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses guys, it's much appreciated.

I didn't realize a new 17" would be coming out. I am not purchasing a new laptop until December anyway. So by that time, if it means waiting a few short months for the 17" - I think it might be worth it - you think?

While I'd LOVE to buy a 15" now, I'd kick myself once the new 17" debuts. Perhaps it will have a Blu-Ray drive in it. Hopefully!

One has to wonder however when the new 17"ers are gonna be here. I hope soon!

6. magallanes macrumors regular

Apply traditionally unveil new products in January (at Macworld), so may be you must wait a little more until the purchase of a new mbp.

7. benjs macrumors regular

Some things you should keep in mind..

First of all, I'd say the odds of the 17" having a Blu-Ray drive are slim to none.. it's still a relatively new format, especially in Apple's eyes. They much prefer to advertise the iTunes Movie Store, which sells HD material.

Second of all, it's quite likely that the 17" model will follow the transition the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros just went through. We can't be positive, but the rumour going around here is that Apple was going to update the 17" at the same time as the other notebooks, but was having some sort of internal issues. Either way, some people prefer the new design, others like the old style. It's a personal preference, unless you're a fan of matte screens, in which case, I'd suggest not waiting, due to the fact that the new one likely will have the same glass screen.

Also try and remember that if the redesign is exactly the same as the 15" MacBook Pro, you will have to now use Mini DisplayPort, you will have one less USB port, and only one FW800 port, no FW400 ports.

On the other hand, the 17" will likely receive the same two GPU setup that the current 15" has, with both an integrated and dedicated GPU and the ability for a user to switch between the two to conserve battery. The graphics card update should make gaming better.

In the end, the idea is to look at the 15" model, familiarize yourself with it, and ask yourself if you'd prefer the current 17", or the 15" specs and design on a 17" model. If you'd prefer the 15" specs and design, wait. Otherwise, go for the 17".