MBP 15" vs 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryox, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Is there any advantage of getting the 17 inch over the 15 inch model?
    Except of the obvious 15 being more portable and having LED screens or the 17 inch having an bigger screen, option for the hi-res screen and an extra USB socket?

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I think that you've summed up the arguement yourself. its just a matter of what do YOU value more.

3. freewill macrumors newbie

I'd try playing with both at a retail store before deciding, if at all possible. For me, the feel of the keyboard & trackpad is quite different between the two--the 17's keyboard is further from the front edge and from the trackpad itself. If you're sensitive to hand/wrist issues as I apparently am, the ergonomic differences could be key.

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I can definitely attest to this as it can get uncomfortable using the 17" model if you don't have it placed in the correct position and location - on the laptop is the perfect location for me.

Basically with the 15" model you'd be able to sit back on the sofa or bed and easily use it whereas it'd be far less convenient using the 17". Also with the 17" being bigger I find myself being more careful as I keep thinkng I'm gonna drop it!

If you need the high resolution (for example video editing or having multiple windows open at once) then go for the 17". Otherwise you'd be far more comfortable with the 15". Simple as that. :)

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Do what I did. Go to the Apple store if you can (if not go to best buy and compare screens).

For me, the 17 1920x1200 glossy was by far the best. I bought one, and got it yesterday. I love it!!!!

And it runs basically just as fast as my 8 core mac pro!

6. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

The biggest two disadvantages to the 17 inch model are:

1) Finding a computer case that will fit it that doesn't suck or cost almost as much as the annual gross income of some small nations.

2) The space between the front of the computer and the keyboard.

For me, #1 is solvable. #2 is a real pain, and the only reason why I seriously considered the 15 inch at all. For someone that wears a watch with a metal band, I often feel that I should remove the watch before starting to type on the laptop keyboard, lest I scratch it all up.

But given that I don't care for the track pad/single button, and that so far I've only mostly used external keyboards, either a Dell at the office or an older Apple one at home, this really hasn't been an issue.

The huge advantage is the resolution (which really was a show stopper, as my 3 year old Dell had 1920x1200, and I wasn't downgrading) and the size of the screen to take advantage of it. I'd recommend getting the 17 inch, unless you just can't deal with the keyboard, or need the lower resolution.

-jt2