MBP 15" vs. Lenovo Thinkpad W520 Mobile Workstation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anomy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Anomy, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

Anomy macrumors newbie

I've been in the market for a new laptop and after copious amounts of research, I've been able to narrow it down to these two machines. I've been leaning more towards the Mbp in recent days, but I'm curious to see if any discussion that this thread produces would be able to dissuade or cement my decision to get the mbp.

Info:

-I will be using this machine primarily for video editing, graphic design,and some processing.
    -I don't mind either OS

MBP config:

-2.2 GHz intel i7 quad-core
    -4GB Ram (I am considering the 8GB upgrade)
    -500GB 7200RPM HD
    -AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    - Hi-Res Glossy display

Lenovo config:

-Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3)
    -4GB RAM
    -320 GB 7200RPM HD
    -NVIDIA Quadro 1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
    -15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
    (This machine is also currently on sale for $1,499)

2. Rikiswims115 macrumors newbie

I've had a W510 for a year, and then a MBP 13" 2,66 IC2d for a year. Though the MBP was considerably weaker, it was faster. My Lenovo had a better processor (2,8GHz IC2D) way better Vram, larger cache, and a couple of other things going for it. On geekbench it scored 3500. My 2,66 IC2D MBP scored 4200.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Lenovo. It was fast, it was reliable, the warranty was great, and it had a high resolution (unlike the MBP) and a much nicer unglossy screen. It had more ports than the mbp as well, also useful. Here was my problem though:

I got the W510 as a Laptop scholarship worth 1500 dollars (that's how much the laptop cost), 11 months later I could barely sell it for 575 dollars.

I got the MBP for 1400 on sale including a 3 year warranty. Ebay value 1 year later is still around 1000 dollars. I could easily sell it for 850 on craigslist. (and I just recently actually have, just not in america, but basically I got my 1400 back a year later).

IF devaluation doesn't bother you, it's a much harder question to answer. The Lenovo will be more user friendly (I had easier time connecting to other devices for example), it will have more ports, higher res, better performance in some things, and a great warranty. On the other hand the MBP will provide you with a better battery life, will actually perform much better in most things, is a lot more attractive, and the OS is just better. I loved the 13" MBP, and though the 15" is larger, heavier, and I would prefer a 13", I'm sure you would end up loving the 15" as well.