MBP 15 vs MBP 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesusplay, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

which is better?

and if they updated what would be added??:confused:

2. Blanz macrumors member

depends....

Would you prefer more mobility or more power?

(i suggest the 15 inch btw. 17 is too big for me)

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Go 15 for portability. The 17 is just too big IMHO.

4. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I use a 17, high res, daily and love it.

Our 15 is too small for any productive graphical, web design or video work.

5. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

well im going to use it around the hose. i dont plan on going anywhere with it

6. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

If it's for home use, then get the 17 inch. If you need anything bigger, it can easily be attached to a monitor, etc.

7. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I'd go for the 17" MBP and I carry it everywhere with me around school. Yeah it's a little big, but I love the extra screen space.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have had the MB and 15.4" MBP I always end up going back to a 17". I don't have a desktop, well i do. But my wife s on it mainly, I love my machine with the high res screen, it is perfect for me travelling and as a mobile work station.

I is in fact not that much bigger then the 15.

9. AaronRC macrumors member

I'm in the same situation, but I think I'm leaning towards the 17". It really doesn't look much bigger, and the extra screen space is probably worth it.

This video shows the two models side by side, so it may help you make up your mind.

Ignore the annoying voice and the fact that he's jealous of his sister's MBP. ;)

10. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

If you do get the 17" MBP make sure you get the High Resolution screen. With it, you may never have to use a desktop again. You may think you do, but believe me within a week it will become the only computer you ever need.

It's got the resolution of a 23/24" monitor along with the power of a desktop, topped off with the style and beauty of aluminium and the convenience of portability.

It's basically an iMac on your lap and it's got a decent graphics card to play games as well! What more could you want?

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Wow, I forgot just how similar in size the two are; it's definitely worth the slightly larger size for the higher screen resolution.

That guy in the video was weird. Funny introduction. Admit it AaronRC, that was you right? Haha. :D

12. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I love my 17 high res, definitely one of the best choices out there. Portability if you need it, screen real estate for all your needs.. a perfect apple:D
    not too much difference over the 15, but the extra screen space is soo worth it

13. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think the "slightly larger" is sort of misleading. I agree that comparing numbers the two machines seem to be very close in size but I've got to say every time I go to the Apple store and fidget around with the 17" MBPs they always feel ridiculously large to me compared to my 15" MBP. I don't know if it's because the weight balance is different or if the threshold is just somewhere in the middle of that 1/2" size difference but it really feels like a big difference when I've got both units in hand and can heft them around to compare.

The 15" is right at the edge of my tolerance for laptop size I guess and the 17" is past it.

That said, the new(ish) HD resolution is tempting and might make me put up with the <sarcasm>grossly oversized</sarcasm> 17" for my next MBP. ;)

14. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

If you fly a bit like me even the 15" is too big to open up on most plane seats. Most flyers prefer the Mac Book to the MBP.

15. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

depends, if you want a larger screen, go for the 17"

if not, go for the 15"

You get the same main features in both. Wish I could be of more help...:(