MBP 15" w/ TB i7 CPU differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laerning, Nov 24, 2016.

1. laerning macrumors member

laerning

Hey there,

I was thinking about upgrading to the new MacBook Pro 15" with TouchBar from my good old Mid 2012 MBP and was thinking about those CPU specs.

Is it really worth the price for the i7 2,7 or i7 2,9 GHz models?
    Is it just the clockrate or are there any other significant enhancements?

Otherwise I'll get the 15" MBP w/ TB 2,6 GHz, 1 TB with Radeon Pro 460. Which hopefully will last for 4-5 years.

2. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

CPU probably won't make a big difference. The only reason I suggest you consider the 2.9 model is that some stores carry 2.9/1TB/460 in stock. In case you need to make in store exchanges, it's easier.

3. laerning thread starter macrumors member

laerning

Okay. Thank you.
    But I'll get it via Employee Purchase Program, which is unfortunately online-store only :(

4. TazmoStarkana macrumors regular

I've thought long and hard about this and did plenty of research. I went from my 2014 MBP 2.2GHz i7 16GB 256GB to the new 13" i5 16GB 512GB. This time I went with portability instead of power. And in all honesty I think my old 15" had more than enough power that I needed.

Anyway I suggest you go with the base build of 2.6GHz and 450 Pro. You will not notice the performance difference unless your doing some serious peak processing and the gain in speed is marginal. Not worth the extra $300. And remember that the more powerful the CPU the hotter it runs and faster drains your batter.

Im willing to bet the 450 will be more than enough for what you will do. It's a GPU mainly for professional apps. Most of the time you will be using the integrated GPU anyway.

Go with the base and then sell it in a couple years and upgrade to a machine with more power efficiency to boost battery life. That's my plan. If you do want to go that route then those marginal bumps in CPU and GPU will end up costing you even more money when the day comes you sell.

Price wasn't an issue for me but a portable and cool and long experience is what matters. I can settle waiting an extra second of two when the CPU is under load.

5. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Only thing is that you can't just go one step up the 2.7GHz, I would just for that slight incremental that doesn't cost a bomb. On the whole, you think that any of those incrementals won't give any more longevity to the mac?