MBP 15, what happened to my drag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deceptichop, Mar 21, 2009.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

Greetings Apple fanatics!!

Heres my question. I have a MBP 2.4 w/ 10.5.6. 3 weird things just started happening yesterday. Ive reset and shutdown my Mac but they are still here. Here are the 3 problems

1) On my desktop up until 2 days ago, I used to be able to drag files down into my App icons.

* Example: I could just drag a .jpg down into Preview and or Photoshop.

2) I also noticed that I can no longer rearrange/move tracks in my playlists folders in Itunes.

3) When on my desktop, in my HD, all my .jpg files look like Illustator icons. And now when I double click my .jpgs, Illustrator opens up!!?? It used to be Preview and or Photoshop would open.

Very strange. This has never happened with any of my Macs. What do ya'll think? Thanks

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it sounds like someone or something changed some settings. what were you doing the day that all of this started happening.

3. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

The ONLY 2 things i have done differently was I installed my Alien Skin filters for my CS4 Photoshop. And they installed successfully. And the other was I downloaded about 2 gigs of .mp3's off of bittorrent. Thats all. Shadow, how can I put my settings back to normal?

4. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

nothing strange is happening. This is all normal. You can always drag files over icons and have that application open them. As far as the other two complaints when you select an item. Hit "apple i" it's for information. This will allow you to choose what application opens each type of file. You can also set a default. Fianlly in itunes make sure that you dont have the playlist organized by title or aritst. This will make it impossible to rearange tracks. Click above the numbers next to title and then you will be able to move tracks around. Hope this fixes all of your problems that are built into the os.

5. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Micahfreak, thanks for your reply but unfortunately these 3 things ARE extremely strange and very frusterating! I used to be able to drag a .jpg or .psd file down into my PS icon and open Photoshop, and the same with Preview.

I tried what you suggested in Itunes but still doesnt work. Ive never been NOT able to rearrange tracks before.

and how can a .jpg open up Illustrator now?

Something is very wrong here.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would try an archive and re-install.

you did add those mps that you got from bittorrent into iTunes maybe there was another file that came along that corrupted you library folder.

7. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

ya man, sounds like it. Cuz ive installed and re-installed my AS filters many times with no problems.

What do you mean by archive? And do you mean re-install my original OS install disk?

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

get your os x disc and boot from it by holding down C. and you have two different options complete erase and install or a archive and install which saves your files. but re-installs the operating system. may fix everything but the iTunes issue

9. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

Did u already try getting the information of the file. There is a file preference that is opening the wrong application. I am not sure what is going on with the drag over an application in the dock. Can u explain more please. And as far as iTunes make sure u are in a normal playlist and not haveing it organized by title, artist, or album. Also a restart always sometimes helps.