MBP 15"; Which model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derpasaurus, Oct 29, 2011.

1. derpasaurus macrumors newbie

Currently, I'm in a debate between getting the low end or high end. Price does not really matter. Maybe I'm answering my own question/doubt, but don't know whether the .2GHz difference, 250GB HDD, and Graphics Card is really worth it?

I just recently bought a 2TB External, so I would imagine the additional space would really come into play. But it could always be in handy to just have it on the laptop rather than plug in an external.

As for the graphics card, not sure whether I should opt to get the better one or not. I believe I'd be using it for photos, maybe videos, and playing games here and there. Games, not so much though. But I could play here and there. Would the lower end graphics card be suitable to play StarCraft 2, Battlefield 3, and the like? Wondering how much better it would be to get high end laptop.

Thanks in advance.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Neither the low end nor the high end 15" will satisfy high end gamers.

So you can go with the low end and save some money - the 6750m has lower clock speeds (and should be producing lesser heat as a result) than 6770m but games should be equally playable at low settings - at higher settings things will get slower with both low end and high end MBP GPUs.

If disk space is an issue - you can always replace the HDD or even add one in place of the optical drive if you don't use one like me.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Both will play things like Starcraft 2, but you aren't going to get "good" performance on games like Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Get a real desktop pc for that. By real I mean adequately speced for the price and running Windows, since you're going to need that for "real" gaming anyway.

4. Aaron from KY macrumors member

Get the refurbished early 2011 high-end for $1699 if you're in the US. It has the 1 GB of VRAM 6750 plus the 2.2 Core i7 quad. It also has 250GB more HD space than the late 2011 base model.:D