MBP 15" with matte screen possile in 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by altmac, Jan 16, 2009.

1. altmac macrumors member

Does anybody have any idea if this is even a possibility?????????:mad:
    I am waiting for that in order to pull the trigger and convert myself to Mac finally....
    Having a MATTE screen is a must for me!:p
    I wonder if I should wait longer now or abandon the entire switch idea...altogether...
    I am definately decided on 15 inches screen MBP but will not do it with any glossy mirror on it....
    Anybody's take on possible 2009 matte screen for 15" MBP? :confused:

2. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Honestly, I don't think apple will have a matte screen.. they just recently got rid of it... so Im assuming it'll be around for a while.. But check out the refurbished Macbook Pro's, they are cheaper and have that matte screen, the next Macbook Pro update will probably be in 8months I assume, and even then we don't know if Mac is going to remove the glossy screen..

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why 8 months?

I don't know when a matte screen 15" MBP is coming out, but I'd be surprised if the next update didn't include an option for one. In fact, I really don't see why they don't just include one today. They don't need to wait for a processor update to give it a matte screen. They could just add a $50 option to it like they already do with the new 17" MBP.

Besides that, you'll be able to get a matte screen protector that will make your screen "matte". That may be a solution you'd be happy with.

4. jon08 macrumors 65816

You can still browse through a vast selection of previous generation MBPs with matte screen in stores like MacMall etc. So if you desperately need a MBP, you can either pull the trigger on one of those or wait for another 6-8 months to see what new updates may bring...

5. svndmvn Guest

He probably said 8 months because MBPs usually get updated every 8 months, considering the 17" got updated a few weeks ago and the next update would mean an update to all MBPs 8 months would be a safe bet, maybe 6 or 5 though. Especially if Apple keeps updating both MBs and MBPs the same day as they did the last two times. Macbooks get updated every 6 months, so, since Intel already has the speed bumped Processors the 2Q is a must.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, they also just released the 17" with a matte option (possibly due to the outcry over the loss of the option), so it's not unrealistic to think they might add that option for the 15". They wouldn't even need a major product release for that.... simply add the option, which would be possible to do at any time.

7. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Oh yeah, i just noticed it, but it seems its only with the 17" Macbook Pro =/

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

The introduction of the 17" matt version, and the nature of its implementation clearly indicates that it was a reaction to negative comments and reviews of the 15" glossy only option.

So I'd say there will be a matt option for the 15" sooner rather than later, unless of course, demand for the 17" matt is less than expected.

9. altmac thread starter macrumors member

why option for 17' but not 15'?

Exactly....I don't get why they would not offer the OPTION for the 15" as well...that is all I ask for....:rolleyes:

It should not be a major update etc to achieve that....and I find it hard to believe it will not contribute for sales! After all you have the two "camps" here- the glossy lovers and the matte ones....

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Very true! I'm just waiting for them to update the 15" resolutions too. 1440x900 is getting to be a bit small.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wasn't there a 3rd party solution at the MacWorld Expo?

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They wont include a Matte option for the 15".

Watch Schillers Keynote at the Macworld Expo 2009 closely.

13. altmac thread starter macrumors member

Third party option

Yes there was an option from third party...but would not it void the Apple warranty?....plus It is at a cost of $200 plus S&H and Taxes....I would rather see an ORIGINAL purchase option.....even if I need to add premium to that...($50?)...
    I have not watched the Macworld presentation....why you say there will not be a mattte for 15' for sure?...what hints in the speech?

14. Horst Guest

Care to enlighten us ?
    I kinda stopped paying much attention after the fellow claimed there had been nothing bute rave reivews on the new MacBooks /Pro .

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So it'll only be in the 17".

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think in this economy, Apple cannot do whatever it "wants" to do. With the large outcry for the matte display in the Pro model, after the 15.4" display was glossy only, the 17" came with an anti-glare option. I expect Apple to update its products quicker than normal; it has to do more to keep sales up during this economic depression (yes, it's a depression not recession - forget the economists' definition).

I believe all of the MacBook line (MB, MBA, MBP) will see build to order options increased. I think within a few months we will see a BTO for the 15.4" MBP offering an anti-glare display. I think this year, more than ever, Apple will listen to its customers. Apple has to focus on keeping existing customers happy and wanting to "upgrade," so us Mac junkies should have a much better year than in recent years.

So, whether you want a new "headless" mid-range Mac, FireWire in your MB, 4 GB RAM in your MBA (personal wish), or anti-glare on your 15.4" MBP, I think it will be your year.

I don't think the wait will be eight months but probably less than three months from now! We will see, but I hope to point this thread out later and say "I knew it."

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually it can with $20 Billion in the Bank.

Just because theres a recession people should become prostitutes to make money? The same applies for companies, Apple has standards.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, so where was the FireWire 400 in the 17" that they had JUST as much time to see the repercussions of the removal thereof?

Silliness. No xMac, no FireWire, no matte 15.4".

So do I.;)

Thank you, yes. Apple couldn't care less about the state of the market, and now, when the market actually does matter, they're the only company in the country that can still AFFORD not to give a crap. They just spent 500 million on LCDs. They'll keep on keeping on.

19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No, the stakeholders in Apple, some of the largest of which are executives, care more about the stock price than cash reserves. Apple MUST be attentive to shareholders demands for rising stock prices rather than the continuing decline. The recent downgrades of Apple's stock from some top analysts will definitely light a fire which WILL result in faster upgrades and more care about what the customers want. It will also force Apple to create and innovate again. Some new products... I predict.

20. bigcat macrumors 6502

With Jobs gone (at least for a while), anything is possible. Maybe they'll add matte again; maybe they'll add firewire to the macbook again; heck, maybe they'll add floppy drives too :D