MBP 15" with vertical stripe issues now also going black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the7th1, Apr 23, 2009.

1. the7th1 macrumors member

Hi all, my first posting here. I have the MBP 15" early 08 model. 4-5 times I have had the vertical stripes, which closing and reopening the book normally solves. Easy! Now, over the past week 4-5 times the backlight in my display goes out completely, and I have to reboot entirely to get everything back to normal. Now I have sent it back to my Apple Center to get it fixed. They told me that my warranty is out (13 months old MBP) but in Denmark, by law we have the right to claim for 24 months. So if I can prove that this issue is caused by a manufacturing fault, I might win the case. My theory is this: Because of the vertical stripes I called Mac support (who of course had NEVER heard of the vertical issues) and they helped me to reset the graphic card (rebooting with some keys held down - can't remember the combination). And now 2 weeks later, this "backlight black" issue occurs... Can anyone explain this? Are the issues in any way related?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well it definitely doesn't help that you have the early-2008 model with the faulty 8600M GT. Probably a combination of the ribbon/cable for the screen and a failing video card.