Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baybegirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
chicago
all this talk about the mbp 15 being grainy..not too sure what u all mean by that...but is this it right here -->

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

the 1st one is of a pic of the macnn site..is that the grain everyone is talking about...those white horizontal lines on the left side?..it only shows up on the macnn site...i noticed those lines on an apple cinema display as well..but not so noticeable on an imac '20...that's the grain people are talking about?..if not - how come those horizontal lines on that site show up on some lcd's i have seen and not on others?

another pic showing an example of what i think is the grainy issue...the mac os x title bar..and those light white lines

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
those lines are intentional. They have been a staple in the Mac OS GUI for as long as I can remember.

this is not what posters here are referring to in terms of grainy MBP displays.

baybegirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
chicago
really?
then i guess i don't see the grainy issue...glad thats not it and i can't even notice it! guess i will keep my mbp

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
If there was a problem with your lcd it's not going to show up in a screenshot... you would have to take a photograph of the screen.

baybegirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
chicago
u can see it in the screenshot..atleast i can...its those faint white horizontal lines..the screenshot shows it..just gotta look hard

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
u can see it in the screenshot..atleast i can...its those faint white horizontal lines..the screenshot shows it..just gotta look hard

We get it... there's lines... but, those lines have nothing to do with the graininess issue. Those lines have always been there, and it's intentional. This is not what me and others were looking at. I notice this effect more on solid whites (they don't look solid but, instead noisy or sparkly with little shiny dots all over) and I also notice it on grays and greens. It shows everywhere but, if you have a distracting enough image, it's hard to see.

Also, why did you start a whole new thread about this? That's just redundant.

baybegirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
chicago
i don't think a photo would be detailed enough to show any graininess on the lcd..if i don't notice it now i would rather keep it that way lol...i just thought everyone was talking about those white lines u can see in the macnn background and the os x toolbar..which you can see those lines clearly on the screenshot

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I think most of the people who are noticing this horrid effect on the MacBook Pro screens are the people who have owned an Apple laptop in the past and are used to a nice clear and flawless display (such as my old PowerBook G4 that I'm using right now). It's much more appealing than the MacBook Pro display. This one looks well built and very very very low grain level. It's not as bright but, I still think it looks better than the MacBook Pro display.

One thing that you should know. If I would have known that the MacBook Pro display wasn't going to look the same (or better) than my Powerbook screen... I wouldn't have purchased it. Also, even if I did look at one at the store before I bought it, who's to say I would have noticed it there in the blinding Apple Store lights and knowing the fact that hundreds of people touch the screen, scratching and leaving fingerprints all over it. I would have just thought the screen was dirty without knowing that it's how they come out of the box.

Anyone agree with me?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006

They're called pinstripes, been part of OS X forever. They get less prominent with each successive release.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
To get a picture of a grainy screen you need:
1 Digital SLR.
1 Macro Lens or similar optical device.
1 tripod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.