MBP 15inch won't boot - Genius Bar no help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wwjd79, Apr 29, 2010.

1. wwjd79 macrumors newbie

Hi. This is my first time posting because I usually get my answers from any previous topics but the problem I have right now there are nothing out there for me.

Long story short, when I boot my computer, it goes to a "DOS" screen and tells me that there is no bootable drive. So I try again pressing down the alt button and I get my mbp hard drive option. I click on it and after about 15 minutes screen comes up (my last view before turning off last night) and mouse is the only thing working. (everything else frozen). I used to run bootcamp with windows 7 before but I've cleaned out the hard drive and was only running snow leopard. Can anyone help?

people at the apple store told me its a hard drive problem. I got a new hard drive and I'm still getting the dos prompt. Also, tried installing Leopard again and it freezes on me. I have no clue...

15 inch MBP (late 2008 model)
    2.8ghz
    4gb memory

thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Can you boot from the install discs that came with the computer?

3. wwjd79 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but the install freezes with 20 minutes remaining. tried it 3 times.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

5. wwjd79 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I do that? can you help? thank you so much...

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Check out this :)

7. wwjd79 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried AHP test. no hardware issues found.... perhaps my laptop is really dead...

8. Pax macrumors 6502a

When you say the install freezes, does that mean you are trying to re-install Mac OS X? If so,don't do that, just select the DVD as the boot drive and boot from that. It contains a working copy of OS X.

Does it boot OK &in a reasonable time (slower than booting from a hard disk though)?