Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does EasyRes on MBP 16" 2019 cause headache?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes but sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slightly

• Not at all

• Haven't tried

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I have used several Lenovo laptops with a 4K screen (14" and 15") for a year without any issue of headache. Last week, I used the EasyRes app to increase the resolutions of my MBP 16" to 3072x1920, 2048x1280, 2688x1680 (all at 60Hz) for about two days to learn a new programming language by typing some codes from the book. I also had the pdf version of the book opened on an iPad Pro 12.9" next to the MBP. Note that I also increased the font size so that I could see the letters comfortably. Only the GUI and icons were smaller. This should not have caused any issue as depending on the situation, the letters within the xterm were adjusted so that they looked similar to or even larger than those in native resolutions of the MBP 16" and I had the xterm expanded full screen most of the time. I only put it under 4K when I needed to see more things displayed in the xterm all at once. Whenever I was done, I made the letters bigger or changed to lower resolutions. It was Friday and Saturday I believe. Since the, I have been having headache everyday. Anybody has similar problem? Could it be that the EasyRes app did not do the job correctly (e.g. setting the display frequency correctly even I chose 60Hz at all resolutions I tried) and caused the headache? Is it better to just keep the resolutions of the MBP to one of the officially supported ones under display settings?

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Have you tried this instead?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Have you tried this instead?

This points to the Display Settings which I tried. Basically, it allows the user to change the resolution but not the independent scaling of font size.

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.