MBP 16" i9 which one? Is this $1,000 more combo worth it?

jyyz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hello! I would appreciate getting some opinions on which MBP to get.

Right now I have a rMBP late 2013 - 2.3ghz i7 with 16GB RAM Nvidia GT 750M with 2GB VRAM - 512GB SSD.

Ideally I would like to get the MBP 16" - 2.3ghz i9 with 32GB RAM 5500 8GB VRAM - 1TB SSD - with AC+ in Canada that comes to grand total of $5,105.34!

Costco offers the base MBP 16" - 2.3ghz i9 16GB RAM 5500 4GB VRAM 1TB - with AC+ for a grand total of $4,101.89!

Based on my current use, the 16GB in the late 2013 machine is meeting my needs. I don't need to be convinced of the value of additional RAM, I get it; however is the upgraded configuration really worth $1,000 more? Based on my past experience, and experiences of friends with MBPs through the years, I'm reluctant to not get the AC+.

Thoughts? My use is typically: Safari webmail, and a handful of tabs open concurrently, Mail, iMessage, Calendar, iTunes, Citrix Workspace, Skype, Skype for Business, Pages, Webex (lots of Webex presentations juggling around Citrix, PDFs, video clips.) I don't do any gaming with the exception of Cities Skylines. I purchased the late 2013 mid 2014, so I have had it a good six years. I have had a couple Macs and six years is the typical timeline for me.

Thanks for any input!

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
To me it seems 16 GB should be more thannadequate for your needs. The primary use case I see for 32 GB would be running Virtual Macines, which you are not.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
if your 2013 MBP is meeting your needs, the base 16" i7 16GB RAM should be a good upgrade for you. unless you need the extra cores, RAM, and the better GPU, the i9 8GB GPU is overkill.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks both. I considered the i7. The clincher for me seems to be Costco offering AC+ included at a discounted price. I could really do with the 1TB that the i9 model comes bundled with as opposed to the base i7's 512GB.

Reactions: XNorth

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Disk space is something you can more easily fix. I run my 2 TB MBP with a 10 TB USB C disk for things I do not need frequently.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Agree. With
Disk space is something you can more easily fix. I run my 2 TB MBP with a 10 TB USB C disk for things I do not need frequently.
Agree, with some effort I'm sure I could continue to get by with 512GB. In my current set up I have an additional 200GB SD card with one of those Hyperdrive adaptors rigged up. So going with the i9 bundle is just easier I think. Costco also has the base i7 (512GB SSD) with AC+ for $3,559 all in. I know I will get use out of the 1TB, and while the i9 may be overkill I'm hoping it will carry me through to a similar place I am with the late 2013 today: still performs well after all these years, but time for a change.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Out of the two options you listed, the CostCo option seems like the best for you. Performance and cost wise. But i think even that one is way overkill for your needs. You'd probably be totally fine with a slightly specced up base MBP 16. Even for the 6ish years you intend to keep it. Unless your use cases change to include video/photo editing or heavier gaming or running virtual machines. A base MBP 16 should do just fine for you till your next upgrade in 2026/2027. Basic web browsing, Microsoft/Apple/Google office type programs, and screen sharing isn't going to be difficult for a 2020 machine in 2026. The only thing i could maybe see struggling a bit is the light gaming. But if you think that will be a concern, you could just throw the 8GB VRM graphics card in with your i7 MBP 16 and probably be fine i would think.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Out of the two options you listed, the CostCo option seems like the best for you. Performance and cost wise. But i think even that one is way overkill for your needs. You'd probably be totally fine with a slightly specced up base MBP 16. Even for the 6ish years you intend to keep it. Unless your use cases change to include video/photo editing or heavier gaming or running virtual machines. A base MBP 16 should do just fine for you till your next upgrade in 2026/2027. Basic web browsing, Microsoft/Apple/Google office type programs, and screen sharing isn't going to be difficult for a 2020 machine in 2026. The only thing i could maybe see struggling a bit is the light gaming. But if you think that will be a concern, you could just throw the 8GB VRM graphics card in with your i7 MBP 16 and probably be fine i would think.
Thank you, appreciate the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.