Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I have my MBP 16" running in clamshell mode with two monitors attached. When I go to leave and take the MBP with me, I put it to sleep. I then unplug the monitors and go on my way. Every single time, when I open the lid back up to use it, the machine has rebooted, asks for my password instead of touchid, etc.

I thought putting it to sleep was the proper protocol when disconnecting from clamshell?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
There are huge threads here about the 16” MBP not handling external displays well at all. Many people are dealing with kernel panics as well as rebooting issues like you mention.

Comment

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Has this gotten any better? I just had this happen again where I purposefully put my machine to sleep, removed the thunderbolt cables and when I opened it, it rebooted. That sort of kills the point of "sleep." Anyone running Big Sur, has this gotten any better? If not, it's going to have to be a shutdown every time I move from dock to roaming....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.