MBP 16" with Powered External Dock.....

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Is it bad to leave an external powered dock permanently connected to a MacBook?

My MacBook lives on my desk at all times.
The Dock I have provides 87w of power, in comparison to the 96w adapter the MBP comes with. It also has a NVMe SSD inside, which I use as my Time Machine backup, so I like to keep it connected at all times.
This means my MBP would be constantly topping up, and only running down slightly when I am rendering or exporting a FCP project, for instance.

I know Apple suggest not to keep the system constantly connected to power so the electrons keep moving, but would the above apply? ie, would I be best to unplug the dock once every other week, and let the battery run down to around 30% before plugging the dock back in?

rex450se

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I've done this with previous MacBook Pro's with no adverse effects. This is what I've also been doing with my 16" since I received it. I've yet to have any issues so it's what I'll continue to do.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I've done this with previous MacBook Pro's with no adverse effects. This is what I've also been doing with my 16" since I received it. I've yet to have any issues so it's what I'll continue to do.
Thanks.
Do you ever cycle the battery or you just leave the dock always connected and powering the MBP?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I would suggest that at least once a week (perhaps twice) that you UNPLUG the dock, and cycle the battery.
Let it drop to around 40%, then reconnect the dock (and charging).

Reactions: Ifti

rex450se

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
Thanks.
Do you ever cycle the battery or you just leave the dock always connected and powering the MBP?
Mine would get cycled maybe once a month or less and I have't had any adverse effects or any issues with battery capacity when I did need to use it away from the dock.

Reactions: Ifti

Chronos___

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Göttingen
Its just something to keep in mind: As far as I know you need to open the Macbook it turns into standby mode if its closed without a power source.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Im using a Glyph Thunderbolt 3 Dock with a 2TB NVMe inside used for Time Machine, and I get some coil whine when the laptop is closed and not in use. When the laptop is open and in use the dock is silent!
A little annoying but otherwise the dock is perfect for my uses. Guess I'll need to get used to it!