Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stiney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
So I have one issue I can't quite figure out. I own a MBP 2016 with TB.

While I am plugged into power the computer has an issue that runs the computers fans at full, sluggish performance, and at times FaceTime will not show the camera due 'heat' issues. Which everything is running cool so the FaceTime issue seems odd. When I run Diagnostics I get two errors. SMC Code: PFM006 & Power Management Code PPN001.

Once I unplug the machine and run off the battery the Fans run at is normal speed, the computer has the normal performance, and FaceTime doesn't have any issues. When I run Diagnostics I receive not errors.

I have reset SMC & Pram. Disc First Aid says the HD is good.

Not sure what to think on this one. I have a appointment with Apple later this week to look at it as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Stiney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
So some update.

I started to have the same issues while unplugged. It is high CPU usage with Kernel_Task at almost (500%). Figuring that was due to high fan use. So I just picked up the machine while on and turned it on its side then on the other side while moving around a room. Then the fans slowed down and the CPU usage went back down to normal. It is now plugged in without high CPU & Fan usage.

Now I am even more confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.