MBP & 16gb Corsair Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user418, Apr 12, 2012.

1. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Okay, so I bought this Corsair RAM and installed in my MBP a couple of days ago. Immediately after install I ran the AHT through seven passes and no trouble was found. The RAM also shows up in About This Mac. Should that testing suffice or do I need to run another tool to verify RAM? BTW, I have had no issues, freezes, slowdowns, or crashes. Early results seem promising but only time will tell.

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Most of the time you can pop ram in and never have to test it to know you have good ram. Constant beach balls, and kernel panics are signs of bad ram, typically after you install it.

3. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

In the past I never really ran any diagnostics on new ram. As you said, pop it in and if the system recognized it all was good. However, with all the mixed reviews on this particular kit I wanted to be as sure as possible at the moment.

On a side note, did you install the ssd in your iMac yourself? In my case the MBP was an easy job. Not quite sure I'm ready to tackle my iMac.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I had my iMac serviced by Apple to have both my glass cleaned internally, as well as a new LCD installed (the original started to have a burn-in look to the top near the exhaust). Sure enough, Apple only cleaned the glass and never bothered with the installation of a new LCD (as the service ticket noted that it was going to get replaced). There was a serviceman who came from 3 hours away to replace the LCD himself. I told him to leave the glass off after we tested the screen, so I just went to town cleaning it and replacing the hard drive with the SSD. All in honesty, it wasn't hard at all! I took my motherboard out and replaced the GPU and CPU thermal paste with AS-5 as well.

The iMac feels much much faster!. It feels as snappy as my MBP and use the iMac much more than I was. I have been looking for a bus powered firewire 800 enclosure, so I can only have my power cable and firewire 800 cable hooked in to it, to keep my desk clean.

5. user418, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

I'm with you on the clean desk thing. Have you checked out this enclosure

6. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I am actually looking for a 3.5" one. I seen an older Lacie have a bus powered one.

7. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

I've heard that Lacie makes pretty good stuff.

8. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

I ran seven passes with the AHT which took over nine hours. Seems it takes longer the more ram you have. Would memtest be needed at this point or just another tool to double check the ram?

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its just another tool to double check, took 45 minutes to test my 8GB

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I never test the RAM. I just make backups of my important data and if something goes wrong, I warranty the RAM.

11. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

Same here. That has always been my practice in the past. Always good to learn new stuff. May come in handy down the road.

@iisforiphone - Thanks for the Memtest info!