MBP 16GB Ram Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bainzey, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Bainzey macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP 12 months ago, I have 4GB of ram atm (15") and 750gb disk space. I would like to upgrade the ram to 16gb... although i'm unsure as to whether my mac can take it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. JamesP. macrumors regular

Go to crucial.com and download system mac scanner.
    It will tell you exactly what it can take and give you list and prices.

I have my MBP from 10months ago and it can take 2x 8gb sticks.

3. MaulRx Suspended

OWC can also tell you what your model can take and sell you the right kind.

4. Bainzey thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3) Early-2011

It says 16GB will work.

Thanks a lot guys, lots of help!

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

16GB of 1600MHz will work on 2011 15" and 17" machines even though it comes with 1333MHz.

6. Bainzey thread starter macrumors newbie

7. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Cheap RAM is a nightmare waiting to happen — even if it appears to work, it can cause kernel panics and data corruption as the OS really has to be able to trust it implicitly.

RAM from either Crucial or Kingston is the most highly regarded (others may be able to recommend other brands, but those are the two that most Mac users go for). Since it's a commodity product, the price difference you're seeing is the difference between dirt cheap RAM and good quality RAM. Crucial and Kingston aren't using cheap RAM and throwing a brand name on it or anything like that. It's like the difference between a high-end SSD and a budget one. I say go with Crucial (via the link on the scanner tool if you can, since if you buy it from there Crucial will guarantee it with your specific computer). :)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even 32GB would work for your computer, but of course nobody makes 16GB DIMMs right now.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, I have 16GB of RAM sitting here in my desk with an RMA number, waiting to be returned to Corsair. Fortunately they have a lifetime warranty on RAM so hopefully the replacement set will work better.

Upgraded and had intermittent kernel panics, even some BSODs in Win7 (in Parallels). The machine ran nearly flawless for several months and it now running perfect again with my original OEM 8GB re-installed.

Corsair is actually supposed to be pretty solid memory. This is actually a general notebook upgrade, though it's 1333 DDR3 and according to reviews on Amazon, has been used by dozens of people in MBPs (I have an early 2011 i7 2.3GHz build).