MBP 17" 2.93 Refurb or Current Gen 2.8?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turbineseaplane, Jul 17, 2009.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Hi.

My girlfriend qualifies for the edu discount and we're stuck between two options and I was hoping for some advice from the crowd here.

Option 1: Refurb MBP 17 Anti-Glare 2.93, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD for $2249

Option 2: New MBP 17 Anti-Glare 2.8, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD for $2344

No matter which HD, I'm replacing it with an SSD (since I have a Vertex myself and would never go back), it really comes down to the processor, price and the screen.

I still am getting conflicting reports on whether anything changed with the most recent 17" screens. I had originally thought that the 17" had the higher gamut screen from the get go in January and the other MacBooks just now caught up.

Anyways, who would choose which machine and why?

Thanks so much!

2. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

IMO I think you should buy the new one because it has a better screen and comes with the original packaging so if you ever wanted to resale it would be easier to show you've looked after the item Plus i dont the the extra 0.13GHZ would make any difference and also you could use the 500gig in an external enclosure.

This is coming from a 12 year old so sorry about grammar n stuff

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The 17 inch's screen wasn't updated in the 17 inch because it recieved the wide gamut screen when it was released in January. The 17 inch just got a price reduction and more hard drive standard this update. I'd go with the refurb since it cheaper and has a faster chip.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely refurb. It's 100$ cheaper and you'll get faster CPU, though the difference isn't noticeable. New ones have actually nothing new

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go refurb if your replacing the HDD anyway... that's $100 you'll have toward the SSD....

6. andrew0122 macrumors regular

I'd go with the refurb. I bought a MBA in January and It is the exact same machine as the new only you don't get the original packaging, You do however get everything that it would have came with.

Sorry if the grammar is bad. . . I'm a little drunk. Honestly I'd want the processor as long as the FSB is the same for the Ram.