MBP 17" [2009] - no SD card slot - what to dO?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phased, Jul 25, 2010.

1. phased macrumors member

my whizbang MBP lacks an SD card slot. i only just noticed.

what are my options here? i'm getting back into photography and would like a means of dragging images from my SD card to my HD.

do i have to buy one of those ugle SD-USB converter things?

tia!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

An external SD card reader is available for less than 10€. It connects via the USB port.
    You can also look into ExpressCard 34 SD card readers or connect your camera via USB.

3. warrena macrumors member

warrena

I think Belkin and Griffin (and others) make an ExpressCard SD reader. IIRC the Griffin is flush and the SD card sits flush so nothing protrudes from the Mac. As mentioned above you could get a USB reader, there are some very small USB/SD card readers now.

4. cube macrumors G5

Your machine is better. You can put an SD reader inside the ExpressCard slot. Some sit flush.

You can do many things with it, for example:

- Lexar has a new massively fast UDMA Compact Flash reader (not flush, because the cards are too big), which is faster that their old FW800 UDMA reader.

- You can put an eSATA adapter, even supporting disk arrays.

- There's a good chance there will be an USB 3.0 adapter (no drivers yet), although that would be limited to 2.5 Gbps. The slot cannot support the full 5 Gbps of USB 3.0 (ExpressCard 2.0 slots will be faster).

- There could also be FW3200 adapters in the future (again, limited to 2.5 Gbps)

5. Link2999 macrumors 6502

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...since its an old model, give it to me (I'll suffer taking it off your hands)...:rolleyes:

7. cube macrumors G5

I rushed to buy the old 15" when they removed the ExpressCard and replaced it with the stupid SD slot.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use the Sonnos 21-in-1 ExpressCard adapter to move photos from my camera's SD card to my MBP. Works great.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Highly recommend this one, great card, and its a flush fit.

10. cube macrumors G5

11. elleana macrumors regular

Why don't you connect your camera directly? It should come with a USB cable specifically for this.